Monday, August 8, 2011

Les Mis - I Dreamed the Dream!

Decades ago I was a young girl with season theater tickets. I didn't know current popular music because my love was all things Andrew Lloyd Weber and Cameron Mackintosh. One of the many shows I was lucky enough to see was Les Miserables. When I saw the 25th anniversary tour was coming to Oregon I put it on my calendar and signed up to get notice ASAP when tickets would be going on sale.  Finally the day was here, and yesterday I took Biker Boy to his first ever legit show! We went to the matinee and had a full date night! It was freaking amazing!!


The moment I could see the Keller Auditorium and that beautiful red, white and blue banner I got chills. I pretty much was in a constant state of emotion for the next few hours. Naturally I had to get some pre-show photos. I'd like to point out how lovely Biker Boy and I look together ... yeah, we match! And not a hint of running clothes on my body!


Once inside I wait straight for the souvenirs. I knew I'd get a souvenir program .... the lapel pin, canvas tote and charm bracelet were unexpected surprises! I kept eyeballing the "24601" shirt, but convinced myself I didn't NEED it... but maybe Biker Boy did? Oh well. BB grabbed himself a drink and we lingered at a tall table off to the side for some people watching and excited talking (by me) about the show and memories of seeing it 20 years ago.  See the excitement? The musician in me was just very, very excited. *Factoid alert: I almost went to the University of Oregon to be a music major, but switched to Oregon State to be a business major (in the end I got a psych degree). I spent 3 days as a music minor. My dream job? To play in the orchestra of shows just like Les Miserables!*


Soon it was time to go to our seats. Right away I was giddy with excitement. I studied the program, ooh'd and aah'd (shout out to Marius!) over the new set and was very happy when the two seats in front of us were never filled. Score! We were dead center, too. Fabulous seats!


The first notes came from the orchestra and my eyes got watery. I grabbed Biker Boy's had and put it on my calf to show him that I was covered in goose bumps. They stayed through the entire show. I had so much to say, but I'm still in awe and on a Les Mis high that I don't know what to say! Not one single actor annoyed me. What? I know, right?!?! And the Thenardiers were fabulous! I loved their portrayal! Something I tend to be picky about is realism. For example, on one recording I have, Eponine is dying (ugh, don't make me cry AGAIN!) yet she is singing with the strongest voice ever. Really? 'Cause you just got shot, you are dying, how can you be strong until your last note? Same with Fantine. Well this cast was amazing! They were so realistic with the way they showed the emotion. Their voices were great, the music was overpoweringly impressive, the new set was fan-freaking-tastic! I have nothing but rave reviews. I loved every single second!

Now let's talk about me. No, my mom. No, wait, was that me? As a girl 20 years younger than I am now seeing it for the first time, I didn't feel the same emotions that I did this time. Good gravy, I've turned into my mother! I was in tears leading into intermission, and as soon as the show started again they were back. Eponine's On My Own was my favorite so far. I mean I LOVE this song sooooo much, and her version of it was the best I've heard. I lost it. I couldn't even see her though my tears. By the time the final song was on I was that blubbering idiot I used to make fun of. Through the standing ovation they only got worse. I was just overcome by it ALL!!  And the photo below has the tears to prove it!


Once I left the auditorium I stared again at the souvenirs, and had to get one last photo. Instead of rushing back to the car we circled around the building and actually got to see some of the cast leaving from the backstage door. Tiny people! We saw all of the children from the production .... our Gavroche was so good! I realize that many of you probably have no interest in Les Miserables or any idea who Marius, Eponine and Gavroche are. (Our Enjolras had long, blond curly hair ... it was odd to me since I've been drooling over Ramin Karimloo after seeing him in the 25th anniversary PBS special.) I don't like a lot of musical theater. I am way picky, but when I like something I LOVE it. After seeing this "revival", I'm bumping Les Mis above Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The top 3 shows for me now are Starlight Express, Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables -- the order would vary depending on my current mood I guess!

So now I would like to leave you with this awesome video made by the cast that we just saw perform. Les Mis - told from Javer and Eponine. to the tune of that Jay Z/Alicia Keys song. These two were stand-outs in the show for sure!

10 comments:

  1. Best. Musical. Ever. I've read the book 3 times, worn out the CDs, and made my dad take me to see it many years ago. My husband has only seen the movie... he sooooo doesn't get it. There are entire characters missing in the movie. Boo. Hiss.

    You look so freakin' cute. You could be your own Disney Princess. Awesome. And way to bring BB in on the madness. He's a good sport... do you hear that Brad? Good sport. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT. It's such a fantastic and moving production. I need to see where the tour takes it near me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, please don't hate me, but I've never seen Les Mis... I just read all about it on Wikipedia though, so I at least know the story. :) Sounds like you had a great time. It looks like a great show to go to.

    Oh, and you should've been a duck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that in the old Boston Theatre from the third tier, which was fine by me as the "Stage Manager" in me likes to watch the set production as much as the actual show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les Mis is one of my favorites. I sing the soundtrack in my head all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE weber!! :)

    Sounds like you had a fabulous date night!! (with no running clothes) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all the shows I've seen (Miss Saigon being my all time favorite) - I have not seen Les Mis. Such a sad thing, really.

    You've got me really wanting to see it now!

    And I do love me some Andrew Lloyd Weber - I saw so many shows as a teen, wait, how and why is it I haven't seen this one? Somebody get me tickets - stat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, you both look fabulous!

    Second, I'd love to see Les Mis someday. Mark took me to see Phantom of the Opera when it was at the Orpheum Theatre two years ago for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Les Mis, I've seen it three times and would love to see it again. The first time I saw it was with my family, and we must have looked like quite the sight because all four of us were crying, even my dad. I get misty eyed just listening to the music from the show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm assuming it was the same cast I saw here in Baltimore who were so amazing! Eponine was stunning. Fantine was good but could have been better but Eponine took the show for me! I was just happy not to see any JoBros in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº