Friday, August 19, 2011

Run #6.5 - Positive Changes!

Yesterday after work I said hello to my pets, let Lady go potty, grabbed 6 cans of food I know I'll never eat, and went back out the door. My stop? The YMCA. With my 6 cans of food I just saved $50 on the membership fee. Woohoo!  After just a few minutes and a lot of question asking, I became a member. OMG, I joined the gym! I am the girl that has never worked out in a gym, never passed a swimming lesson, never run on a treadmill! I still don't intend on running on a treadmill, but I want to try everything else. This weekend I am on the hunt for a good "athletic" swimming suit so I will be ready for Monday morning when I go to my first class. I'm using this water aerobics class to help me get used to the water more so then I can hopefully be brave and take an adult swimming lesson. I also asked to have a cardio/weight room orientation so I'll know what everything is and how to use it properly. I'm pretty darn excited! Scared, but excited!

After the Y visit and a yummy dinner (I had salad again - this is TWO nights this week!) I prepared to run. I haven't had a run since last Saturday ... unless you count the .4 miles on Sunday when I just bombed right at the start. I went out around 8:30pm intending to do a 5K. I did 2 miles, and I'm okay with that. It's been so long and I am not 100% over the latest Meniere's attack, so I was okay with 20 minutes to break me back into it all. It was soooo dang humid. OMG. I mean I was so uncomfortable that my head was filled with positive thoughts. I kept saying this is just practice for Disneyland and California weather. Baby steps! So I kept pushing through even when I wanted to pause. Ugh, even my left ovary hurt. What? Okay, so maybe that is just a sign of womanly issues about to happen, but whatever. I was just proud of myself for continuing on through the hurt and sweat!

So next week things start all fresh for me. Sunday I will do 9 or 10 miles. I will not let myself fail! Saturday I will buy my new swimming suit(s) and possibly test them out in the river at my mom's house since it is supposed to be 90º+ here for the first time all year. Sunday night I'll set out my towel, a breakfast bar and swimming suit so I'll be ready to get to the YMCA really early for my first class. If I like it I'll sign up for it for real and do it 3 days a week. Fun! (I hope.)

And lastly ... TWO WEEKS!!! Two weeks from today is the Disneyland Half Marathon expo!!!

9 comments:

  1. i LOVE the Y. I've taken a break during the summer so I can take advantage of daylight (work till 7pm), but once fall comes around, you bet i'm there after work.
    If yours has a hot tub you will LIVE there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the Y or rec center was cheaper here. I just belong to a regular gym and it just has the basics. Any type of different exercise/fitness should spice up your workouts and hopefully give you other options if/when you have other attacks. See you in... TWO WEEKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!! I wish I were a member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who are you? :) Very exciting!! I really need to start going to the gym regularly.

    And yay for Disneyland!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo woo!!! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome girl! Swimming in the river. You are heck a lot braver than I am. :)

    Good luck for this coming week - on your running, your swimming ...

    Disney needs to have you as their official spokesperson. You sweat and bleed Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great deal for the membership. You're going to rock these last weeks of training!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you go to class this morning?? I want to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your last two weeks of training! I hope that your Meniere's stays in check!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº