Monday, August 22, 2011

Run #6.6a&b - Done and DONE!

Ugh. It isn't pretty. It isn't short. It isn't sweet.

I left with fabulous intentions of 9 miles of pure dedication. I wasn't going to whine. I was just going to run at a steady 11 minute mile pace - 'cause that's what Lesley told me to do! Mile one was lovely. It was 70º, slight breeze, warm, but not oppressive. The first mile was about 10:20 or so. It immediately went downhill. I underestimate the effect of my Meniere's meds on my body when mixed with the sun. I couldn't get hydrated enough, even though I was trying my hardest. The sun was just draining all life from me. Somehow I never let it have an effect on my mental running game, which is huge. I mean once my head goes then it all crumbles. I just didn't want to be a quitter. But I physically was just done. I got home and saw it took me two hours to run 6  miles, although there was only one hour of running time. The shady spots were just too nice to not stop and rest in. When I had long stretches without shade I was struggling. In the long, shady stretches I felt like my old self again. I called it part of a day at 6 miles. I wasn't getting all out of this run like I wanted, so I felt like I was wasting my time. The temperature rose 15º while I was out there ... no wonder I was so miserable. Good thing Oregon just now got it's summer - hopefully it will be over SOON!

I ended up rather sick for the rest of the day - again, side effect of the daily meds. But because I won't give up, around 9pm I put on outfit number two and hit the neighborhood streets for 3 miles - in just 30 minutes! My legs felt pretty darn good! I had joked that these 9 miles were going to be my first 9 of training for January's back to back half marathons. .... Little did I know I actually would do back to back runs that day to get in the 9!

Instead of beating myself up over it, I'm actually proud of myself. It was a hard day. After not being able to run for nearly 2 weeks I felt like I was starting from scratch. My endurance certainly isn't where it was at the start of the summer before all of these dizziness that I had this month. So I guess I didn't expect to set any record during training - but I'm happy I did it, even if it did take two separate runs.

Imagine my surprise when I got this! (Way better than the big fat ZERO I had a couple weeks ago!)

10 comments:

  1. Totally love the outfit! I need to get me some purple compression socks.

    Great job on your runs! Way to get it done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job to push through and make sure you got all 9 miles in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to knock out the three miles at a better pace.

    Whatever you need to do for Disney, we'll do. My only goal is to get to hang out with you the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least you look HAWT in that cute skirt! good job pushing through. dont you just love the daily mile recaps. when you think youve had a crappy week, they give you a little pep with the adjectives they use. i got an "AWESOME" today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of my run this past Saturday. (My "aborted" run.) I love that skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an awesome outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute outfit!! Great job getting all your miles in. And pretty soon you will be in Disneyland!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow ronda, honestly, i don't know how you do it dealing with menieres. Most would just throw in the towel and not even try. You are a rockstar. Fo' reals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so strong! Way to hang in there for your long run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to get it done! You did it, and this comment is wicked late and I'm sorry, Im a bad blog friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº