This is it. Final run before the Eugene Half Marathon!
I deliberately decided to not run last night, and instead do another morning run. Here are things that went "wrong":
- I turned on too many space heaters and threw a circuit breaker out of whack. Had to repair that so my computer would turn on again.
- I forgot to put away a half eaten, yet still in the wrapper, Clif bar. The ants found it. I had to get Raid and go on the attack.
- Time was ticking. I had to be back home to shower and get ready for work.
- My body decided it HAD to make a mid-run pit-stop in the park, resulting in a turn around earlier than planned.
- Thus, resulting in a 2 mile run versus the planned 3 miles.
Here are things that went right:
- My new Nike running capris that I picked up last night for pretty cheap were VERY comfortable and kept me at a great temperature. (I also snagged a throw away sweatshirt for just $2.98 during my shopping trip!)
- My legs felt great.
- No cramping.
- I was smart and had a pre-run banana!
- I successfully ran 2 miles in 21 minutes, tackling two short, yet sort of steep hills in the process.
So while I didn't do the 4 miles I originally wanted, nor the 3 that I set out for, I am fine. As they say, anything I do today isn't going to get me any more trained for Sunday. My mental confidence was boosted, I got up and moved, I felt good!
|Pre's Rock - Eugene, Oregon|
Looking ahead to Sunday, for me, this is just a mental game. I cannot run 13.1 miles non-stop. I know this. I will have to walk here and there, but I want to keep it for as short of a time as possible - ideally just water stops. This is going to be a mental race for me more than physical. As long as I can keep my head in the right place then I will be just fine. Right now I feel in that zone for success!
I'll spend today hydrating, staring at the course map, worrying about where to park so that Biker Boy and I can both get to Hayward Field (any suggestions from you Eugene Marathon pros are welcome!!), thinking about the expo and what I may get, hoping that I will be lucky enough to meet Linda Prefontaine while I am at the expo (cross your fingers for me!) and thinking about my packing list for tonight. Tomorrow morning I'll leave town pretty early to get the expo when it opens. I'll be hitting up the mall for some make-up (because that's important, dammit!) and will also take Biker Boy to Pre's Rock so I can have a little pre-run pep talk with Pre. And then I'll join the OBC (Oregon Blogger Connection -- shout out!) for dinner before I try to sleep!
Have a great Friday everyone, and I'll see you at the races! And good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I know there are tons of us, it's going to be exciting Nation wide! Who needs a royal wedding when we have half and full marathons to run?