Sunday, January 15, 2012

Race Spectating: FAIL

I drove north on a beautiful Saturday afternoon with plans of watching the Olympic Trials and then being the greatest race spectator on Sunday morning.

Yeah, those were the plans.

Reality was different.  I did successfully make the drive. I met a couple of adorable dogs that I just couldn't get enough of. Give me a dog with a huge nose and floppy ears and I'm in heaven!  Because I saw it 22,000 times on facebook, I already knew who won the Olympic trials, but that didn't stop me from watching!  Watching the trials with your new running coach means a lot of pausing to talk running, share stories, discuss future plans ... and say "mine's bigger than yours is" with your medals. I'm just gonna say it - I might not have the Ironman medal, but my new Disney medals are freaking awesome!

And then it was time for dinner. As you'll recall, I love pizza and French fries. Here's what I had for dinner:


I can't even tell you how long it took me to pick through this. I DID try at least one bit of every new vegetable. And when I say "new" I mean everything in this was new to be me except for the lettuce. I survived. I didn't die. I didn't eat much.

Bed time happened and then I was up just before 6am to get dressed and get my spectating gear in order. Turns out it snowed while the house was sleeping. Leaving the ranch, the road was packed with snow. Hmm. Getting into town and filling the tank, we learned the road just north was a white out. Weighing the pros and cons, the race lost out. It just didn't seem worth the risk to drive in the snowy conditions to a little $35 race. Instead we had breakfast. This was my first time having breakfast in a diner before the sun has even risen!

I was exciting and took a 2 hour nap. It was freaking Glorious!! I seriously just passed out and didn't notice anything going on around me ... clearly.

I woke up, saw more snow and wanted to play in it and visit the goats. I bought boots specifically for goat time! Happily I trotted along down the hill to see them. Once I caught a glimpse there was a little "hello goats!" squeal. We went through the barn and oh no. I want to erase it from my memory. A poor, handsome goat ... down for the count, minutes from death. Another goat was missing. I looked toward one of their little hangouts -- I saw one laying down. I am a freaking curse. Here I was, so excited to befriend some goats and now two of them are dead. Yeah, I got teary. The dogs were nice and distracted me with kisses to cheer me up. 

I've decided that I was NOT cut out for tending to farm animals. Too dang sad. Besides, do ranchers ranch (??) in running clothes, kitty cats and rainbow colored boots??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº