Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Running to Remember

Once upon a time there was a war. Then another. Then another.
Once upon a time I wasn't a runner. I couldn't run around the block, let alone a mile, let alone 15 miles!
Once upon a time I met this guy and I couldn't stand him. Over the years he came and went, off to the war to serve his country.

Then,
Once upon a time I became a runner and started dating this guy that kept going off to the war.

I went from not knowing ANYTHING about anything over there to spending countless miles learning all about it. Asking questions, listening to stories. Some times they invoke laughter and happy, nostalgic feelings for this man. Some times the stories are difficult to tell and fragmented, leaving out parts that don't want to be spoken about. Over the course of the runs I've found myself absolutely fascinated. I know that I personally wouldn't have it in me to enlist in any branch of the military and go fight. I'm a weenie. And it looks so hot over there, right?!? But while I'm sweating and thinking about how terribly hot and miserable I would be, I hear passion in his voice. He knows his stuff. He was good at what he did. He made lifelong friends with whom he shares a bond that I'll never be able to comprehend. But sadly he also lost a friend. I can't even imagine all that these men and women go through. I mean September 11th came and some people felt compelled to enlist. Some were already part of the military and ready to go fight for our country. And what was I doing? I was working in Walt Disney World exiting guests from the theme park and forcing them to go back and just hang out at their resort with Mickey Mouse and friends entertaining them. Yeah, MY story isn't exactly exciting or noble. And honestly, before spending all this time running with someone that has spent over 20 years in the service, I never cared or thought too much about it. Now? Now I love going to sleep in Man Friend's old Navy t-shirts. I love that I have his dog tags in my bedroom. I'm pretty much hatching a plan to steal his adorable white sailor hat. And I love when we run and I get to hear the good, the bad and the ugly!

So when my friend Bob told me about a fundraising thing in honor of fallen soldiers, like Man Friend's comrade, and those that lost their lives on September 11th I didn't even hesitate. I instantly registered and tonight is my first run in my quest to see how many miles can be run by September 11th. Part of it IS fundraising, which I fully admit I suck at. But so far I'm up to $55, which is $55 more than I've ever raised in my entire life -- thanks Bob! thanks Brad! If you want to help me out and see if I could even crack triple digits, here's the info on what I'm doing, why and who it is benefiting!






And here's MY fundraising page:  http://www.stayclassy.org/fruitfly


Thanks for your help and for your service!

8 comments:

  1. I love that you are doing this! It makes my heart happy. So I'm bringing you up to an even Hundo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your donation! I can't believe I hit triple digits!!! You're pretty freaking awesome!

      Delete
  2. I've bookmarked this and I'll be back on the first with a donation for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is so nice and generous of you!!

      Delete
  3. wowzers! now its $170!! This will help many families!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $215 now, can you believe it?!? Thanks for pointing this out to me, Bob!!

      Delete
  4. What a great cause! Hope you exceed your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well your donation got me a big step closer. Thank you so very much!!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº