Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Run 1.53/1.54 - No H2C, 20 Miles

Once upon a time I wasn't a runner. Then I was. As a runner I learned about Hood to Coast and never fathomed I'd have a chance to participate. I would really love to, FYI, so you know, in the future if you need a spot filled, think of me. And yes, a team needed to fill a spot. Maybe it's bad luck, maybe it just wasn't meant to be, but having to say No because someone at work that isn't even in my department is on vacation and therefore I can't go -- ugh, it sucked!! I mean I could totally be getting ready for the mother of all relays. *sigh* Some day!

And back to the running I AM doing. Saturday was my first run since last weekend. It was just so damn hot I couldn't function. I basically turn into a zombie once it is above 90 - but then when we get over 100? Forget about it. I'm not there. So running wasn't there either. Saturday morning MF and I did a nice 4 miler. The weather warmed up a bit, but we were pretty much done before any legit heat hit. It felt so good to just be out. My legs felt great and overall it just really boosted my spirits, getting me ready for Sunday's run! Ooh - I almost forgot! AFTER the run we spent the entire afternoon lawnscaping. It's my new word - because I keep not saying landscaping. MF removed the Juniper plant I have always hated, I planted flowers in a new pot and I trimmed some trees. So much improvement can already been seen. It really excites me!!

Sunday - 20 whopping miles! This was my second time running 20 miles, and this time was just so much better. I'm still a little giddy about it!! Saturday night I fixed us a yummy dinner so we'd have more in us the next day (we learned that lesson before!) and then we relaxed and tried to sleep. I couldn't get up as early as I tried, but we were still up and moving, eat breakfast and getting running clothes on at a fairly early hour for a non-race Sunday. Fuel wise we each had a bagel and banana, accompanied by water. So thrilling. Our belts each had 1 bottle of electrolytes and 1 of water. Our packs had 2 gels a piece and 1 back of Clif shot blocks. We were set!

And those miles actually just flew by! Physically we felt fabulous. I killed time by telling him stories from each of my half marathons. When each story takes over a mile - well that eats up a big chunk. He told me about "swim time" in the Persian Gulf when he was the Navy - ignore that I was still a young thing in school during that time.... We spent the majority of the run in my home base of the local park/VA center/duck pond/disc golf course. But since we did have extra miles to run we explored some new pathways and neighborhoods. That really helped keep things fresh!

All things went well for me the entire way. I honestly believe I could have run the full marathon that day. Man Friend, on the other hand, not the same. Up until mile 18 he was great. That's when we weren't side by side anymore. I thought his legs were tired. Wrong. His insides stopped working. His stomach was killing him. His sides were aching. He finally waved me on to finish out the run and he walked the remainder home - still getting in his 20 miles. I felt horrible. He was shaking, covered in goose bumps (it was HOT outside), his kidneys were hurting. I spent the afternoon being a nurse trying to re-hydrate him. So we learned some lessons with this and MF decided he will need to do more pre-fueling. As far as the next long runs we know we are going to eat a bit more beforehand. And that next long run ... this coming Sunday -- 22 miles!

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hopefully! 22 seems so .... BIG, but then actually not too scary - which is in itself SCARY!!

      Delete
  2. You are a running machine.
    Now, we are completely non-twin --- your mega-running and the green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great job! You are a rock star! Poor MF! It sucks to get sick in the middle of a run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID feel like a rock star that day! Maybe next time both MF and I will feel great - then we should be about even with a positive note. I died on our first 20 miler actually, so we are even. Psh, whatever. I'm babbling! ;)

      Delete
  4. Lawnscaping - Love it! Holy cow!! Another 20 miles and now 22!? You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling a bit insane - in a fun way!

      Really I want to focus now on my "lawnscaping" - but I guess that will have to wait until the run is done!

      Delete
  5. That would be frustrating to have a chance to be in HTC and have to say no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo hard! I'm still pouting about it and probably will all weekend. Some day it will be my turn!

      Delete
  6. Poor Man Friend! Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, it was so hot out yet I was freezing throughout my whole run. Not fun :(

    P.S. Rudy passed some gas your way this weekend -- he misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry MF had some GI / hydration issues. Oye. Sucks

    22 miles the week after 20? DId I miss something? Usually a step back week between 20+ runs....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº