Thursday, August 23, 2012

Run 1.55 - I've Gone Solo Again

After my successful 20 mile run I had .... an accident... sort of. Man Friend is temporarily working nights for just a couple weeks. He went off to work Sunday evening after the 20 miler and I .... I watched the Real Housewives of NJ marathon. I can't help it. I love my Housewives! (Let me specify - I watch NJ and NY, and Giraffy got me watching OC. The others? Psh, no interest.) ANYWAY, I plopped in my recliner, kicked up my legs all comfy and was in full relaxation mode. A while later I got up and my knee was NOT happy. So I can run twenty miles and feel great, but I tweak something in my recliner??? OF COURSE. The next day I was at work wrapped in Arctic Ease and moving rather gingerly. Arctic Ease is a freaking miracle, if you haven't yet tried it you're missing out! Due to the fact that I was hardly able to move earlier I thought it best to not run Tuesday. I had no desire to make it worse.

So last night was something "new" for me. For the first time since we started running together and he became my man friend, I ran solo. Remember all those years of always running alone? Well I'm back to that again while we are working opposite shifts. It was strange to be home alone just getting ready with nobody there to prod me along and make me get my ass in gear. I grabbed my phone (for music purposes), put on my visor (for sweat soaking purposes) and was out the door for 5 miles.

Man Friend? Where are you??
It was a GREAT run!! I want to check my Garmin history, but I think this was my fastest 5 miles EVER!! Perhaps it was having my 5K race music playing. Or perhaps it was that I was running against the setting sun. Or perhaps I just wanted to hurry and get home to my pets and my Halloween costume projects that are taking over the house. (It's not too earl - MY Halloween season starts next month with the Tower of Terror 10 Miler weekend!) Anyway, there I was just running ... and fast. I mean only a tad slower than my 5K race pace. I didn't do it on purpose, but everything was feeling so good that I just tried to maintain. I ran fast enough that I got through the "Blair Witch Project forest" area before the sun was gone. It was in fact dark once I hit the end of my 5, so then I had a nice fast walk home. I'm really liking finishing not at my house so then I get to have that cool down walk. I didn't do that before I started running with MF.

I don't really talk about my actual times or paces on here because I don't think it matters. I run for me and for distance, not to BQ or impress people. But I will talk last night's ... there were some negative splits involved and my 5th mile was done in 9:44!! Overall I finished those 5 miles in 51 minutes. For me this is HUGE!! I mean just at the start of this year I couldn't even run 5 miles at a time without walk breaks, so to know I could do it at a fast pace (for me) without any pausing is just a huge breakthrough! 

And that's that! OH! I'm still fundraising! I hoped to get $35 ... and now I've raised over $400 for military families. There is still time left if you'd like to donate. I have until September 11th to get as close to $911 as possible.  The link is over there to the right --->  (Look for the sailor hat!)


10 comments:

  1. FYI, sometimes, I have tweaks that pop up after a run - sometimes that night, the next morning. It was probably from that, not just kicking your legs up ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what sort of tweaks Evan Dando has.....

      just sayin'.

      Delete
  2. what does BQ mean? and I think 9:44 is FAST! Anything 11 and under is cheetah worthy in my opinion. I have a friend doing the Pre that does 7 minute miles and I'm not sure she isn't part cyborg, ha. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BQ... Boston Qualify!

      7 minute miles?? At Pre??? Definite cyborg!!

      Delete
    2. well 7 minutes now. She did the Pre in 2005 when she was 17 in 37 minutes! 6 minute miles! Zombies chasing me couldn't spur me to those speeds. She wanted to run it together (we are both registered) but somehow 6 minute miles and 12 minute miles (If I'm lucky with that course) don't really jive. LOL

      Delete
    3. Holy freaking cow!!!! WOW!! I mean, wow. I, yeah, stunned. Heck I can barely get the first half of that course done in 37 minutes! Agony Hill alone feels like 37 minutes of my life!!

      Delete
  3. Awesome on the great time on your 5 mile run! 9:44 would be considered light speed to me...I just ran an 11:10 mile yesterday and was thrilled about that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get excited about 11s during long runs, well I get excited any time I finish a run, period!!

      Delete
  4. I am going to have to try Arctic Ease!! Negative splits and 5 miles in less than an hour? You are fast!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome! I got some of it at the Disney Princess expo and am still using the same ones --- it's reusable! And sometimes a cold compress wrap is exactly what the doctor ordered!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº