Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It's A Bogey!

A golf reference? Actually, yes! I do believe that’s how the name came to be. But let’s back up a little bit.

Yesterday just before lunch I received a text from Man Friend. It was a photo of an absolutely adorable dog. He asked if I knew anyone that wanted a free dog. Um, duh! Yes… ME! I began quizzing him to find out the scoop. Basically MF ran into a guy he knew, and this guy had the dog in question. This little dog appeared at his house last week and wouldn't leave. They put up signs, went door to door looking for an owner or anyone who recognized him, talked to the animal shelters, the vet offices, the police department. Nobody claimed him, nobody has looked for him, nobody responded to signs or even placed their own looking for this lost puppy. MF’s friend and his family really liked him, but they have a small house, three children and two dogs already. They are going out of town tomorrow and were hoping to find him a home before that so they wouldn't have to take him to the pound.
 
Well soft heart that I am, I pretty much knew instantly I was going to be saving this dog. *My older cat, Tinker Bell – her original owners broke up, parted ways and she had no home, so I took her in. *My sweet dog, Lady – I got her at the animal shelter. I thought she only had months to live and needed to give her a loving home for her last bit of time on Earth. Yeah, that was in 2005… she’s still here. She’s a great actress. *My Millicent, the new little black cat – she also ended up homeless and I pretended to find her a home for all of 5 minutes before I knew I was keeping her. So here we are again, and I want to make sure this little boy has a loving family!

My plan was hatched. I told MF to tell the guy we would take him! After work I would have my mom take this little boy home with her so I could do some grocery shopping. Then I would pick him up after. But really, I thought this time alone with him would cause her to want to keep him. She hasn’t had a dog in years and always says she wants one. Well here he is! If she didn’t want him I’d take him in myself, but I knew that my plan was going to work! Before work was over she had already shown the photo of him to my step-dad and was antsy to get off work so she could see him. We even stopped to get him a toy and some treats on the way to my house.

Upon pulling up to my cottage we saw a crazy sight. My Lady, who hates dogs, was happily playing with him! She had a new friend! He came running up to meet us and instantly we all just knew. I sent him on his way out to his new home and I went about my shopping. I called to check on things and see if I was keeping him or not --- and she immediately said he was HER dog! Bogey (Bogart when he’s in trouble) was busy swimming in the river and playing with his new toy. As his new sister I picked him up a new collar and two bandannas that will bring out his color. We rushed out to see him, and what a cutie!! He and MF played fetch for quite a while until he was all tuckered out.

Apparently he likes to not only sleep on the bed, but up by the pillows! Bogey and my mom got a lot of quality cuddles in on his first night! Even today she couldn't walk with me on our morning break. Oh no, she had to go home to see her puppy! But wait!! I forgot the kicker!! My friend, having seen the photo I sent her, stumbled upon something last night. She was unable to sleep and browsing Craig’s List. What did she find? Our dog! He is 6 months old and his owners were trying to find him a home since they were moving. Seems they just ditched him instead … but that worked to our benefit. So now we have in our family a new little 6 month old puppy named Bogart …. I’m already plotting to take him on some neighborhood runs with me once he gets a little more coordinated! He’s going to be so much fun!

6 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Congrats on your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already looking forward to puppysitting him!

      Delete
  2. So cute!!! Beautiful dog!! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 04, 2013

    Aw, what a cutie!! I love the bandanna! And Bogart when he's in trouble? Love it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom came up with that name ages ago. Finally she gets to use it!

      I was going to name him Sonny - as in Sonny Corleone from the Godfather!

      Delete
  4. Aww I just love him! He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº