Monday, August 31, 2015

Status Check #1

March 24, 2015  At 4am my alarm was going off. At 4:45am my mom and I were on the road heading north to OHSU for my first status check. This drive north was a bit different in that we had to watch the clock and pull over so I could give myself my daily Follistim injection. We had to laugh, I felt like such a junkie!

Just as I did with my Suppression Check, I arrived at my appointment way ahead of time. This is proving to be a great plan, as again I was in the car to head home before my appointment should have even started! Check in was a breeze, and after hardly any wait at all I was dragging my mom back with me behind the almighty fertility door. 

First up was my blood work. Before even sitting down I was woozy from the fertility meds. I'm noticing the dizziness is more of a lightheaded feeling as opposed to my Meniere's vertigo. Happily my cane doesn't discriminate and helps me walk no matter what. So in the seat I go, pulling out my left arm for this morning's blood draw. The nurse hadn't even started taking blood and I was already queasy. By the time it was over, which was very brief, I wasn't seeing straight. The wooziness had increased enough so that it appeared to be visible to the attendants. Without deciding, I was given some apple juice and crackers and forced to sit for a while. I must admit it did help. They said they might start having me lay down for my blood draws from now on and want me to be sure to eat and drink something before coming, even if it is as simple as a banana.

Once I was able, we moved down the hall to the ultrasound room. My mom was pretty nervous and shocked when I told her where to sit. The seat looks formal, but it's the visitor seat by my head! I gave her specific instructions when getting my skirt off that she was to close her eyes and/or turn her head, and NO looking at my crack. Dr. Amato arrived quickly and before I knew it my mom was telling the room how she DID see my crack!

The ultrasound was so easy today, as usual. But this time I couldn't feel a thing. Usually I can feel when they go to the right ovary, but not today. My mom got a little emotional and teary watching all of it, leaving me to take my own ultrasound pictures. In the photo below I've circled my ovary. The dark circles inside are some of my enlarged follicles that will only continue to grow before retrieval. I felt very excited when she was able to easily county 10 follicles on the right side. I missed hearing how many were on the left, but overall she was happy with what she was seeing. A happy doctor makes for a happy patient!


On the way out of OHSU I had to sit down. I thought the floor was moving, but no, that was me being dizzy. That continued for the rest of the day and the bloating continued to increase. I guess this is what I am in store for, but I am excited and willing to feel all of these things if it is helping us get to our final goal!

In the car I got the phone call. I didn't even have a chance to get antsy waiting for it! We may have spent some time in downtown Portland and Woodburn shopping!  Lori, the nurse, was as cheerful as ever, and I swear she is contagious. But this call was all about good news, so I couldn't help but feel giddy and excited. The doctor says my body is responding great to the medication and my ovaries are progressing at the same pace, which is a good thing. Phew! My medication did get backed down a little bit for the morning meds, which is easy enough for me to do. At the clinic Dr. Amato thought they might want me back on Friday, depending on my blood work. The blood work came in and sorry Friday, but I'll be back up there Thursday morning for status check number 2!  This is getting quite exciting!!

MARCH 2015
SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
1234567
Official day 1!!!Phone call to OHSU Grandpa :(Prescriptions set!Protocol arrived
to get it started!in the mail
Birth Control PillsGot my protocol
891011121314
Prescriptions arrive
15161718192021
Last birth control pillSuppression checkInjections begin
22232425262728
Status check #1Status check #2
293031

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº