Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Progesterone Tips and Coping With The Sickness

June 29, 2015  Today was a miserable day at work. I lasted all of 2 hours. Even getting into my car without being sick was a challenge. I wasn't even sure I would get to work at all, or without pulling over to throw up. How I made it is beyond me. My entire weekend was miserable. The worst nausea of my life. I feel like I have one wicked hangover that won't end.  I'd say I'm finding ways to cope, but I am hardly coping. After my two hours of work today I came home and napped. From the very beginning of IVF I've had the sweetest nurse who knows just what to do -- stay by my side and look cute. That would be Millicent, my youngest girl!

Together, Millicent and I spend a lot of time drinking water, going to the bathroom, laying in bed rarely napping, and doing a ton of binge watching of Queer as Folk.  Yesterday I was able to get dressed and make it to the store where I unexpectedly ran into my BFF. The break from feeling sick was great, and I really enjoyed just wandering through the store together seeking out 7 Up, Sprite and Ginger Ale.

Every night I still have to get my progesterone injections. The welts aren't going away. I have a sizable knot on each hip. I'm not even dreading the shots anymore. I know they are going to hurt and feel miserable, so I just suck it up and hope for it to be over sooner than later. But for any women that may stumble upon this, here are a couple of things I've learned to help me get through what everyone has said is the worst part of IVF, Progesterone Injections.
  1. Go to the bathroom first. You probably won't want to immediately sit on a firm toilet seat after being stabbed in the butt!
  2. Do it right before bed. It feels natural to just want to lay down after, so be in your pajamas and ready to crawl in for the night.
  3. Grab a blanket. I bury my arms in mine and lay my face on it. The softness is calming.
  4. Just breathe. I take very deep, slow breaths in an out waiting to feel the stab of the huge needle. I try my best to keep that going through the entire thing (these aren't quick shots, FYI) but I can't always say I'm a success.
  5. Have your injection partner talk to you to try to distract you.
  6. Load up on cotton balls. We started out having 1 handy each time. We learned our lesson. Some of them have ended up pretty bloody, so we always get out spares.
  7. If you are bent over, have the needle shooter place a cotton ball on your back. That way it is quickly available just in case you do have any blood or medicine come out after the needle is gone.
  8. Brace yourself for the sting. The progesterone touching your skin is brutal. That's what causes the welts. Sometimes it seems to ooze back out and it burns so bad. I was almost brought to tears because of it once.
  9. Have a cool, wet washcloth handy. This was something it took us weeks to think of doing. It was a lifesaver. This is my favorite part! Once the shot is done and the blood and meds, if any, is cleaned up, a cool washcloth really soothes the entire area. This is probably my biggest tip!!
  10. And when you're feeling totally over it, remember WHY you are doing this. What's happening inside my body is just insane and fascinating to me... it makes the pain all worthwhile!
And with that said ... I've already declared my baby/babies grounded! This morning/all-day sickness and inability to eat or sleep is getting so old ... and I'm only 6 weeks in!

My mom and I shopped today. She got me some Vitamin E to help with a growing tummy. Oh yeah, yesterday my right boob decided to have a growth spurt. Not both, just the right! I have visions of the left never catching up and me having to stuff half my bra! And she also sent me the following:




JUNE 2015
SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
123456
Embryo transfer!!!!!
ProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesterone
Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
78910111213
Refill Estrace
Progesterone ProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesterone
Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
14151617181920
Blood TestPositive Test Result!!Phone appointment
Blood Test #2
Progesterone ProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesterone
Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
21222324252627
ProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesterone
Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
282930
ProgesteroneProgesteroneProgesterone
Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº