Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Other Side of Rock and Roll

May 17, 2015  I LOVE Rock'n'Roll half marathons. The atmosphere is like a moving party. I didn't hesitate at all to register for the 2015 Portland Rock'n'Roll, keeping my streak alive of doing it since the start. I'm not even sure off the top of my head how many RnR races I've done, it's just a given that if I can afford it and have the time available, I'll be there... "there" meaning in the Pacific NW. So here it was, time for Portland right on the heels of not being allowed to run and being loaded up on fertility drugs.

From my very first meeting at OHSU where I decided to do In Vitro Fertilization I've pretty much been told I won't be doing this race. I pleaded for permission to at least do the 10K, promising to not run hard. I would just lightly run and add in plenty of walk breaks to keep everything nice and easy. Mentally it was hard to line up in the 10K corral, but I knew it was the smartest choice and better than skipping the race all together.

I was stunned at how well I was doing considering the hiatus I was on. Things were going swimmingly until around 1.2 miles I think it was. I've done enough races and training runs that I can recognize hot from running versus a hot flash. Wouldn't you know it, I was in my groove and the hot flashes started. Thank goodness a water stop was there and I could walk through that with my water. Well, sadly that wasn't the only hot flash. Ugh. I was around 4.2 when all things hit -- vertigo from my Meniere's Disease, hot flashes from the Lurpon, and possibly a new feeling of nausea from the Estrace I just started taking.  Holi freaking canoli!!

The lovely photo is what I sent to my mom and Man Friend to express my current status. 

It wasn't all negative, however, for my race in regard to my IVF stuff.  The nice thing about the course was there were multiple occasions where I could see the OHSU building that I go to all of the time. When I was feeling a little blue about doing the shorter distance I looked up and realized why I am doing it. Something shorter and with easy effort so that I could have my body ready for my embryos in a couple of weeks. I know, so romantic right --- no candles, no soft music, no kissing --- me making a baby in a tall building on the Portland waterfront!

So that's the other side of the Portland Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon that became a nice 10K jaunt through the city!

MAY 2015
SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
12
Begin Lupron injectionsLupron
3456789
LupronLupronLupronLupronLupronLupronLupron
Last birth control pill
Run Track Town 5K
10111213141516
LupronLupronLupronLupronLupronUltrasound/blood workBegin Estrace pills
LupronLupron
Estrace: M
17181920212223
LupronLupronLupronLupronLupronLupronLupron
Rock'n'Roll 10K
Estrace: MEstrace: M Estrace: M Estrace: M Estrace: M EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
24252627282930
LupronLupronLupronLupronLupronUltrasoundProgesterone injections
Estrace: M EEstrace: M N EEstrace: M N EEstrace: M N EEstrace: M N EEstrace: M EEstrace: M E
31Notes:
Progesterone ProgesteroneM: Morning N: Noon E: Evening
Estrace: M EEstrace: M E


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº