Thursday, September 22, 2016

Prefontaine Memorial, This Time with Video. Ooh Ahh

Since I began running I have never missed a Prefontaine Memorial race. I always said I would do it even if I had a broken leg or was pregnant. Well, last year I did it pregnant so naturally this year I did it with my baby! We have season tickets for the OSU football games, and wouldn't you know it, the game was at 2pm in Corvallis, while my race was a 10am start in Coos Bay over on the coast. Some might choose to skip the race and go straight to football and tailgating, but I am not "some." There was no hesitation in signing up for what would be my 7th time at the Prefontaine start line. Last year I was only allowed to do the 2 mile walk due to being pregnant and my doctors' orders to NOT run, so this year since we had time constraints we did the 2 miler again.


We left the house around 6:30am to make it to Coos Bay in time to get our bibs, shirts and get parked at Marshfield High School before the spots by the track were all taken. The plan was to park as close to the finish as possible so we could run, finish, get photos, get in the car and get to Corvallis (which is about 2 hours and 45 minutes away). While checking in, Katura was already hit and getting congratulations on being sure to be an age group winner since she was the youngest person there. How cute! And as per usual the volunteers were so friendly and talkative. For seven years in a row now I have left packet pick-up feeling happy and ready to run.

I was shocked at how easy it was to get everything together and wander to the start area. This time the only challenge we had was making sure our new GoPro was secure and aimed how we wanted it. Yep, we recorded the entire race all from Katura's point of view, and you can view it (at double speed) below! I slipped into the museum area before the race to see Steve Prefontaine's things again before starting to run. It has sort of become a tradition for me, and who am I to break tradition?

The race was delayed to let the high school racers and wheelchair racer get a little farther in the course before the 10K runners started chasing them down. After a few words to the crowd, Linda Prefontaine (Steve's sister) counted us down, shot the gun and off we were!

The race we did may have been only 2 miles, but the hills were right on par with the normal 10K course, and I think the second one might even be steeper than Agony Hill! We ran most of it, choosing to walk up the hills because really, we had a freaking stroller and those hills are insane. We had nothing to prove, so we just enjoyed our time and took in the views. The views would consist of coastal homes, Marshfield High School and a cemetery.

Seeing as we were well ahead of the 10K runners and most of the walkers, we had the track to ourselves at the end. That was pretty awesome! And my teammates were nice enough to let me run in the finish on my own as I picked up the pace like I do every single time. Watching it back on the GoPro... oh my gosh, just not a flattering view for anyone. I look like a freaking waddling penguin! 

All in all it was a wonderful time and I am excited to return next year! *And we also made it to Corvallis on time, only missing the first couple of minutes of the game, which OSU went on to win!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº