Sunday, September 17, 2017

Prefontaine Memorial - Take EIGHT!

I've said it so many times, so I'll say it again.... my inspiration for running is Steve Prefontaine! He was freaking awesome. Every September I participate in the Prefontaine Memorial Run. After my first time running it I declared I would ALWAYS do this race, no matter what. Sure enough I ended up pregnant, so in 2015 I did the 2 mile race, and in 2016 I again did the 2 miler with a stroller. Now we are in 2017 and I was so happy to feel confident enough to return to the traditional 10K distance. This race is NO joke, so I knew this was going to be a challenging welcome home!

My mom and daughter came along as my support crew this year. The drive over was so easy with only a couple of cars near me the entire way. Of course those cars I did encounter went way too slow, especially since my bladder was exploding! TMI? Psh, whatever, you've read worse. Getting to the church for check-in was a breeze, and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this year's race shirt. It has a very different look compared to prior years. 



Next we were on our way to Marshfield High School to park and get me all ready with braided hair, compression socks and a charged Garmin. After a brief walk we were in downtown Coos Bay and the start line. As I do, I went into the Art Museum for a final potty trip (why use a honey bucket when you can go inside and flush and wash your hands??) and a visit to the Prefontaine room. I always pop my head in to pay my respects and get focused for the race.

The start line didn't feel as congested as usual. There was a 10 minute delay to the start, so that is when my nerves finally kicked in. I should know to not be nervous. I KNOW this race course is ridiculously hard, so it isn't like that is a mystery to me and I don't know what to expect! For some reason I ended up really close to the front of the pack when we lined up. Ha, like I belong up there? Not even when I'm in top race condition do I belong by those runners! BUT the nice thing is, at this race you never feel judged or like people are competing against you. I always feel a sense of comradery and support. That's one reason I love it!

AC/DC was playing over the loud speaker, Linda Prefontaine raised her hand in the air, she pulled the trigger to the start the race and off we went! Holy adrenaline, Batman! I've been running hills and pushing a stroller so much that now that I was momentarily on flat land and without a stroller I was suddenly going fast. Too fast. I mean I had over 6 miles to go and I had to save my energy for all of those hills. I worked myself over to the side of the road to be out of the way and then tried to slow to a more manageable pace. 

From there I just had one method of operation. I would haul ass going downhill, run strong on the mild hills and then power walk up the steep hills. I didn't worry about other runners and was I passing people, was I being passed, who did I want to beat. That wasn't in my head at all. I was just taking in all of the surroundings, listening to my music and focusing on the path ahead of me.

There was one point that I had wished I had a camera in my hand. The front runners had already made their turn and were coming toward me.Two older men were neck and neck. They didn't appear to be running together at all, just maybe having their own competition and pushing themselves. They were probably the age Steve Prefontaine would be now, maybe only a little younger. The front runner of the two was in an Oregon singlet and green shorts. The same outfit Pre ran in. The runner right behind him, he was in blue shorts and a USA singlet. The same outfit Pre ran in. It was a picture perfect moment. It was like Pre racing Pre. That right there was the highlight of my race!

When I got near mile 4 I started updating my mom on my status. I felt okay texting her since I was climbing Agony Hill. I had six tenths of a mile to continuously go up with no break. I find this is the section of the race where fellow runners and spectators really give me the encouragement I need and help me smile and laugh when am putting my body through a lot of work! 


Once I hit mile 5 I told my mom this was it, I am in that last mile, most of it downhill! I put my phone away and just focused right in front of me. As I turned on Elrod and was rounding the corner at Pre's childhood home, I didn't even see my mom or baby cheering for me! I was totally in the zone. I knew my finish line was coming up soon and I wanted to cross it.

I got on the track and although I told myself I wasn't competing, I couldn't help it. I was running along, almost casually (for me), thinking I was fine at this pace. Well then I heard a woman coming up behind me. A child ran to cheer her on and I could feel her getting closer. Sure, I could have let her pass. But I also know me, and I couldn't let her pass!! I came around those last turns and my legs did what they love to do... my finish line sprint. It felt so good! I could have passed 2 people, but they had themselves lined up just right (or wrong) so I wouldn't have been able to enter the shoot easily. Oh well, I was happy with what I did!


My family and I reunited rather quickly on the football field. It was such a nice sight to see faces that I know so well! And even though I was sweaty, my little girl was very happy to give me a big hug! I grabbed my finisher results and was stunned when I saw it. I guess I misread my Garmin when I was hitting stop, because I finished nearly 10 minutes faster than I had thought. Cool! I was stunned, and felt awesome. This was what I needed to see, and now I have the drive to go run and keep getting back at it so I can return to the 13.1 miles that I love so much! *Don't bother asking my finish time. I don't discuss because I don't compete with people and people are always so full of judgment with regard to pace. I ran the best race I could and I am excited for more!!

Post-race recap: We went downtown again to get some lunch to see the new Prefontaine mural. Oh my gosh, it is pure awesome!! If you get over to the Oregon Coast, go check it out. There was also a parade, so we got a front row spot and really enjoyed experiencing an old fashioned small town parade. I mean they had the cheerleaders, marching band, and even the football team being pulled on a big trailer. It was really cute, and my daughter even got a high quality book for free! People tossed candy to kids, but my girl went home with a book. THAT is a real win!

On the way out of town we stopped by Sunset Memorial to say good bye to Pre, again, another tradition I like to maintain. I also visited my great-grandma with my sleeping baby... who is partly named after her. The drive home was nice and easy, and all seemed to be a nice ending to the day.

Then I came home, put freezer packs in the freezer, turned and saw my little girl almost under my foot. I had on my running shoes and couldn't risk stepping on her. We bumped each other and she tumbled (not hurt at all), BUT she landed where my foot was about to go. I'd have stepped on her torso. I tried to keep turning and it all became a blur. My temple area hit the tile counter, then my jaw hit the wooden cupboard door immediately after. My body went crashing to the hard, tile floor. So yeah, I won't be running for a few days since I can hardly open my mouth, my head has a huge bump, and I just flat out hurt. I declined the offer for the ambulance, but for a while I was pretty sure my skull was cracked out and I'd be bleeding everywhere in no time. Thankfully that didn't happen!

What a day, right?!?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº