Tuesday, September 26, 2017

WDWCP: 5 4 3 2 1 Happy New Year!

Given the time frame I was working in Walt Disney World during my first College Program, I experienced many holidays. But on only one holiday did I really see just how popular the parks get... New Year's Eve!




I had worked an easy shift on the hot dog cart that day, and was off by 5:30pm. After a little nap, Jamie and I went to the Disney-MGM Studios to ring in the New Year. *Disclosure, the daylight photos are here to show more of the park, but were taken prior to this day. By the time we got to the park it was dark.

To the left you can see the Earful Tower, sadly another thing that only lives in our memories and photos. I don't always agree with the decisions Disney makes, okay? It was sure cute while it lasted.

Jamie and I did some of the park things, but it was jam packed, so we couldn't get in all that the park had to offer. I guess this will be a photo heavy post because I don't have the complete detailed memory of this night (NOT due to any alcohol, just due to 20 years of time between now and then.) Also, most of the photos you'll see are now things of the past, so I may as well give them a share for old times sake.




The above photo is Alice in Wonderland's house from the Disney Channel TV show about Alice. This was part of the Back Lot Tour that came to an end quite a while ago.


This house (above) is the Golden Girls house! I always enjoyed that it celebrated Hanukkah.


The photos above and below are from our walk-through of the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, which made its debut in 1995. That was always cool, and it only recently came to and end last year. Imagine walking through Christmas music and an insane amount of Christmas lights. It was wonderful!


We were disappointed to miss seeing Kevin Bacon, since the Bacon Brothers were performing there that night. But we did get to see the Doobie Brothers, although not from the best location. But it was so crowded, it would have taken dedication to get a good spot. And come on, we were 19... we didn't really have a desire to camp out and find a spot for the Doobie Brothers! The following 2 photos are the best I could get from the concert. Basically, just people, but a concert in a picturesque setting for sure! *My roommate, Danielle, got to see Kevin Bacon and his wife - she took them to their table at the California Grill!



We were on the main street of the Studios when we rang in the new year. Balloons, party hats, confetti, fireworks, music... it was a real party! Before we left we did get in our final ride on the Tower of Terror. LOVE!!! At this point it was officially January 1, 1998 - and our program would be coming to an end on January 3rd. I was very happy to get to spend this final monumental event with Jamie, since she was one of my closest friends during our program.

Then it got interesting.

To get back to Vista Way we had to take the shuttle. As you will recall, our shuttles were basically 12 passenger vans, not the fancy motor coaches that the interns have today. We went backstage behind where Rock'n'Roller Coaster is now located (this is pre-coaster days). After waiting 45 minutes the shuttle arrived. The driver told us this was the VERY LAST SHUTTLE. If you wanted to get home, you had to get this shuttle or you were out of luck. You have Cast Members getting off of work, and people like Jamie and I, all waiting and wanting to get home after a long day of play and work. Okay then, I guess we are getting on this shuttle. Right?

Twelve passenger van. I was the final person to enter. I was passenger TWENTY-TWO. Uh huh. 10 extra people. I was the 22nd person to be in this van. Let me consult some maps to give some reference for what we were about to endure..... traffic patterns may have changed, but today it is a 5.9 mile drive, taking approximately 15 minutes. Yeah.

It took over an hour to get from the Studios to Vista Way due to the crazy traffic. I could barely slide the door closed on that van. I wasn't even sitting. I was kind of on my knees a little bit. The step up was going into my shins. If that door had budged, I would have been out in traffic in no time at all. For an hour I was in this weird contortion. I lost feeling in my legs. By the time we got to Vista Way I was completely numb. The door opened and I nearly fell out. I could barely stand, and walking to my apartment was so awkward. I had the darkest lines and dents going over my legs from that step.

But I made it back. And I lived to tell the tale! Lesson for you all is this.... avoid Disney during the winter holidays, especially between Christmas and the New Year. Trust me. After living there again for a few years, I know it is just best to stay home and watch the Christmas parade at home from the comfort of your own living room!



See ya real soon!  °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº