Tuesday, September 5, 2017

WDWCP: Going To Mexico?

My 1st Epcot photo Ever!
Three of my roommates were hanging out and planning their day. I was scheduled to work at Pecos Bill Cafe, but still asked what they were doing since they are my friends and that's what friends do. The answer I got completely befuddled me. "We are going to Mexico for dinner!"


What?? Are Sarah and Danielle secretly rich and someone has a private plane? We aren't even near Mexico. I don't understand!!

Yeah. I'm shaking my head at my 18 year old self. 


It was perfect that I worked in the Magic Kingdom. THAT was Disney to me. I knew Disneyland like the back of my hand, so I was immediately at home in MK. What I knew nothing about was Epcot. I had no idea World Showcase existed. I thought Epcot was the science park and was all educational things. So when my friends said "dinner in Mexico" they really meant dinner in Epcot!

Universe of Energy - RIP


Journey Into Imagination, RIP
I'd never been to Epcot, clearly. I didn't want to be left out of something fun and new, so I did what any CP would do..... I called in sick. Getting to parks on the Vista Way shuttles had us arriving backstage. So my ID wouldn't ever actually be swiped or anything, so it's not like Frontierland would get some big flashing red alert that I was playing in Epcot instead of fixing drinks and stocking napkins. Right?!?

It was October 14, 1997, and I was making my first visit to a foreign park, that now might be where I spend the most time in during every visit! Epcot. Some think it means Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday (which to us Cast Members is a true fact), but it actually means Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. I was ready to embark on a day that would show me only a fraction of the really cool things this park had to offer. Looking back, Epcot would have only been 15 years old at the time. So much has changed in the last 20 years. Some of the photos you'll see, well enjoy them because you cannot experience them anymore!

We were hardly in Epcot and I had this overwhelming feeling of excitement and an urge to be the ultimate tourist. Anyone that has traveled with me knows I can't pass up a souvenir cup, and that's exactly what I got right away. A cold Coca Cola in a Spaceship Earth cup! We hit up Kodak photo spots, interacted with performers and basically did everything that came into sight. It was so fun!! 

After getting through the initial entry areas of Epcot, we went over to Future World. First it was a ride on Journey Into Imagination. That version doesn't exist anymore, but here are some photos from that day! That ride emptied out into Image Works, which also doesn't exist like this anymore. I loved walking through the lit up rainbow tunnel!

Ronda, Danielle & Sarah - entering the Mexico pavilion

Play time was over (HA!), and soon we were in Mexico, and I didn't need a private jet to fly me there! We were eating at the San Angel Inn. For those that know Disneyland, it's like the Blue Bayou in that it is inside, in the dark, along the water of a boat ride attraction. The menu was very different though! 

Being a vegetarian, I don't eat much Mexican food, but we were in Mexico. I ended up ordering the cheese quesadilla, or so I thought. I was given a plate with some small flour tortillas and a bowl with cheese. I scooped some of the melted cheese into my first tortilla and took a bit. Oh my gosh, what is this awful taste??!! It was goat cheese. 20 years later, I'm still not a fan!! I did try a couple more bites but I just couldn't do it. So in he end I paid $9, which felt like a lot at the time, for some plain mini tortillas. I've never eaten there since. This wasn't because of the restaurant and its quality of food. This is all me and my picky taste buds!

Fountain #1 - Mexico 
Italy - Sarah, Ronda, Danielle, Marcy

Morocco - before I could enjoy a Sultan's Colada

Sarah and her beer!
After dinner we worked our way around World Showcase, stopping for the occasional required photos. World Showcase as someone 21+ is VERY different than World Showcase as an 18 year old! You will be seeing many of those photos scattered around this post! You won't be seeing me with any of my favorite drinks seeing as I was a baby. But Sarah got to enjoy a beer in the UK! To this day every time I walk by the Rose and Crown I think of her.

Once we finished our walk around the World we ducked into Future World one last time to watch the 3- film Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, which actually caused us to scream and jump! I miss that show. And mostly the pre-show music.

In the end it was such a fun day! I still don't regret calling in sick. I had four months to live, learn and earn, so I was going to do all that I could. I mostly lived and learned.... no CP really earns anything after you have your rent sucked out of your paycheck every week, ok?!? Heck I once got really sick, for real this time!!, and got a $7.00 paycheck. I was too sick to even pick it up so it was mailed to my home in Oregon. I don't think it ever did get cashed!


Thanks for coming along today, hopefully your feet didn't get any blisters!


See ya real soon! °o°


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº