Saturday, September 9, 2017

WDWCP: A Lasting Impression


Since I broke some rules and drank while underage, the natural drifting of this blog leads me to a day in mid October of 1997. I did something I tried to keep a secret from my mom, although I later confessed to her over the phone that same night.

Sarah, Danielle, Marcy and I got into Sarah's car and made our sole trip to Cocoa Beach. As a wannabe surfer I was so excited to go to the home turf of Kelly Slater! (Professional surfer for those of you not familiar with his beautiful face.) My eyes lit up when I saw the gigantic sign for Ron Jon's Surf Shop. Confession: I STILL have the long sleeve t-shirt I bought that day, nearly 20 years ago!


Seriously so pale.
We went to the beach right away. I set my stuff down and made a mad dash for the ocean. Of course I had to get photos of my first entrance ever into the Atlantic Ocean. The water was warm and very salty, which I loved. But it was NOT like my experiences in the Pacific Ocean. The sand was so hard that it felt like cement. I skinned my knee! Seriously. I was swimming, riding some waves in, got to shore and skinned my knee on sand. It was weird to me.

For a while I did lay in the sun, but that's not really my thing. I'd have rather spent more time in the water or at Ron Jon's. But soon we had to pack up our towels and walk over to a nearby building for our appointments.


Appointments? At the beach? Yes. We had very strict rules to follow with the Disney Look, and we were sure to follow them... as we got tattoos. Sarah got her belly button pierced versus a permanent reminder. I was happy to get this done so I would always remember my very first time at the Atlantic Ocean and working for Walt Disney World. How is Disney incorporated? Well, essentially I got a Hidden Mickey



I was the first in the group to get a tattoo. It was pretty fast and I focused on breathing and trying to focus on a happy place. I remember laughing because my happy place at that moment was Pecos Bill Cafe. Really, Ronda?? Come on.

While waiting for everyone to have their appointments we spent time looking at tattoo and piecing magazines. Oh my gosh. None of us innocent girls were prepared for the things we saw!!!


I put a lot of thought into what I wanted and the location. I thought, if I ever ended up pregnant I wanted to make sure he didn't warp, so my lower back it was. Our rules state you can't have visible tattoos if you were to be a lifeguard. So I was safe! In the end, my Mickey is essentially the size of 45 cents - a quarter and 2 dimes. He was traced off of my tiny work paycheck! Thanks, Disney!

See ya real soon! °o°

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº