Wednesday, September 20, 2017

WDWCP: Let's Hit the Snowy Slopes!

Warning, oodles of pale skin ahead. Grab your sunglasses!!!

September 24, 1997 is the date of this adventure! Marcy called in sick, Brenda went to work, and the rest of us were already scheduled to be off. So what better plan than to go to Blizzard Beach? It was my first ever visit to a water park, so I didn't really know what to expect. Being convinced I was fat, I was incredibly self conscious all day, so that was awkward. Sarah and I had each bought waterproof disposable cameras prior to going to the park, so we were the unofficial photographers. It is a rare moment to have us in the same photo during this day!

We took the Vista Way bus to Blizzard Beach, and once we arrived we got some lockers to store our things. You don't really need much if you're going to be in the water the whole time! Blizzard Beach was pretty new, having opened in 1995. The story of the park is that a freak snowstorm came through, resulting in Florida's first ski resort. The highlight of the park is the chair lift taking you up to the top so you can experience Summit Plummet.



The very first thing we did was board the chair lift. Being a skier, I loved this! There are even fake skis below your feet, so from afar it all looks legit! Our first "ride" was Teamboat Springs, the family raft ride. It was such a blast! All 5 of us were in one huge raft, laughing our asses off the entire time!

Back at the bottom of the mountain we went for a float in the lazy river. For a while some of us didn't have anything to float on, but we just went in anyway... see below!


I noted in my journal that I lost my hair tie in the lazy river. I can see that in the photo above. I never wrote how I ended up pulling my hair back again, because the rest of the day it is clearly pulled back. Hmm, a mystery detail I left out? Wow, this is so unlike me!


We did some more slides and then finally lined up for the biggie... Summit Plummet!! From the top we could look over to our left and see the construction of Disney's Animal Kingdom. That was pretty darn cool to see. It feels extra cool to me now since that ended up becoming my home for 3 years after college! I was the brave one to go down Summit Plummet first, so no photos exist. MAJOR WEDGIE!! But it was totally rad!! The slide is 120 feet long, and you can get up to 60 miles per hour. If I remember right there is even a board that tells you how fast you went down. I can't remember my speed. I think at the end I was more focused on getting my wedgie out and getting out of the way for the next person to come down.


After Summit Plummet we went to the snack shack for lunch. Would you be shocked to hear I had a grilled cheese sandwich? Yeah, didn't think so!


Yeah, I was clearly obese. Ugh, let me roll my eyes at myself for a moment.


Here is a cool view from the top of the hill, probably in line for the BIG slide! It is a pretty cool water park, although I don't have much to compare it to. 


We did manage to get a group shot right after Summit Plummet. All suits still in tact!

Sarah, Marcy, Danielle, Zaira, Ronda

This was taken after lunch. Zaira was hiding from the camera!!

We went shopping after lunch since we already had our money out of our lockers. My journal tells me I bought a pin (as I always do), a postcard for my dogs (yes, that's right) and a 25th anniversary beach towel that I still have in perfect condition. Oh yeah, we did get a Cast Member discount on shopping, so that was very handy since we made basically NO money.


What we called "the wavy pool" was so much fun! Periodically a huge wave would come and sorts of fun chaos would ensue. That was probably my favorite area since it felt like being in the ocean, without the worry of any sort of undertow.



Before we left we took another trip down Teamboat Springs and one final float down the lazy river. The park was clearing out, so everyone getting their own tube was a piece of cake. Below you can enjoy this photo of the official photographers together!



By the time we got back to Vista Way we were sporting some serious lines ... and not tan. Some of us pale ones probably needed more sunblock to avoid the burns we got. We finished off that evening by hitting the House of Blues for dinner, and you can read about that by clicking right here!






See ya real soon! °o°


2 comments:

  1. Why are you wearing shorts? And you sure weren't fat! ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shorts because I was certain I was fat!! Oh man, what I would give to be that "fat" today!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ยบoยบ