Friday, September 29, 2017

WDWCP: Now It's Time To Say Goodbye

We are nearing the end of this series, which means this is the good bye post. I don't even want to write it because I'm sad all over again about my time coming to its close. January 3rd was my final day of work at Pecos Bill Cafe. I had spent all of the 2nd packing, and shipping boxes back to Oregon, but I did get to have one final day of work. All of those last days were spent getting photos of friends, most of which you have already seen earlier in this series, and exchanging addresses. Physical addresses since we didn't exactly use e-mail at this point yet! I did get an ER that day (Early Release) and leave 4 hours early. That allowed more time for packing and preparing for my last night. My last day in Frontierland was on my hot dog cart with my friend Ryan. We were an awesome hot dog team, so it felt right that we finished this out together.  Before I left all together they threw me into Sunshine Tree Terrace to help with ice cream desserts. Why? I have no idea. I was not helpful. I had no idea what the heck I was doing. But it was fun to be by the Enchanted Tiki Room and experience one final location before I clocked out.

Our apartment was pretty quiet, with everyone working and packing. I left Vista Way for my final date with Vinny. Not gonna lie, there were tears from both of us before and after, and discussions of how to get him to Oregon. sigh. Vinny picked me up and we went to Universal Studios for dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. This is pre-City Walk and Islands of Adventure. Does that old school sign even exist there anymore? I don't know!

We had a really yummy dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. It is a massive building. Very impressive. Dinner was filled with mixed emotions. Happy to be there together, but really sad because we knew in only a matter of hours he would be picking me up at Vista Way to take me to the airport.


I totally forced him to take one final photo, so he modeled the Hard Rock Cafe matchbook so he could at least have something to do with his hands, versus just sitting there feeling silly. Always a good sport!!!


Even the Hard Rock Cafe was all decorated for Christmas. I seriously love the theme parks and tourist traps during the holidays!

Sadly, the night did come to an end and I was back for my final night in my twin bed of apartment 3101. The morning would be here too soon.

The sun was barely up when I was starting to leave. Security wouldn't let Vinny in, so I had to haul my incredibly full bags all the way out of Vista Way to where he was waiting in the extra parking lot. I had two full suitcases, and then my two carry-ons. This is in addition to all of the things I had already shipped home! I ran into Justin, from Boston, in the parking lot, so he helped me out with my bags. I was very appreciative!

I think I probably quietly cried the entire way to the airport. As we pulled in No Doubt came on the radio, Don't Speak. Every time I hear it now, even 20 years later, I always remember that as the song we last heard together. I know that is ridiculously sappy, but for some reason that just always stuck with me. This was prior to September 11, so Vinny was able to come all the way through the terminal with me. My flight ended up delayed, so we had a little more time together before I had to get on. As I took off I could see him watching in the window. Ugh, I was so sad!!

Because of the delay, my trip home got a little stressful. Of course I landed in San Francisco for my layover. I know now to avoid SFO at all costs. It is just a terrible airport!! We circled the airport for so long, and I kept staring at my Mickey Mouse watch. I was in the air when I was supposed to be taking off on my next flight. People were courteous and I was able to get out of that plane relatively fast, lugging my bags along with me. I was running from one end of the terminal to the other. At one point I dropped my Christmas Pooh bear, so someone came chasing after me with it. I had to go through security again just to get to my actual plane. Pain in the ass! And I had this cup full of change, so on the x-rays that showed up as a solid blob, meaning my entire stuffed carry-on bag was emptied and I had to repack. I somehow made it on to my plane since it, too, was delayed.

My mom and grandparents were waiting for me in Portland. I didn't even get to go back home. I slept in Vista Way one night, and then next I was sleeping in my dorm, ready for school the next day! It was a whirlwind, stressful, sad end.

But this blog series isn't at an end! I have a couple more posts lined up before we say good bye and move on to something else. Thank you so much for coming along with me down memory lane. I am so glad I decided to share my stories because it really has brought me right back to that time in my life!


This picture still makes me so sad.


See ya real soon!  °o°


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº