Sunday, November 12, 2017

Aloha: Havana Daydreamin'


What a fun day we just had!! Let’s get right down to business, shall we?

As per usual, I was up pretty early without any alarm, probably because I had something big happening and I had to prepare. Prepare how? I had to get everyone ready, fed and our bags packed so we could check out of Hale Koa. So soon? The trip was so short? Yes, so soon, but not short. We were switching resorts!

It took a couple of trips to get all of our luggage down to the lobby, but we accomplished it and set out on our way to Aloha Stadium. We missed the swap meet on Friday, so we figured we had time to kill before we could check in at the final resort, so why not go check out what this marketplace business was all about. At this point we pretty much know how to get there without a map, yet I still have insane anxiety on the road. I swear the lanes are narrower than at home, and turn signals are used maybe just by tourists.

The stadium parking lot is an impressive 98 acres. Fortunately the vendors only take up around the perimeter of the stadium.... especially since it was 90+ degrees while we were there. And we were there early at 10:15! Admission was only $1 per person. That’s quite a deal, and parking is free. Win-win! We found a good spot to park and set out for one lap. It was so darn hot that was just did a rather quick walk, stopping in here and there to check out the merch or get some shade. Basically the booths consist of: t-shirts (7 for $20), Hawaiian print dresses, bags, jewelry and the occasional artistic thing. In the end I left with 2 necklaces, 4 bracelets, a bag and 5 t-shirts. I only spent $54 total. It wouldn’t have been that high but the bag I wanted was $20 with no negotiating. But even $20 didn’t seem bad to me. After one lap we were done. We were melting rapidly and wanted to get Katura in the air conditioning.

Next stop: the Dole Pineapple Plantation. We did all of the tours last year, so basically this was a drive to get more pineapple lotion since my bottle at home is almost empty. Katura has fun shopping, although she didn’t get any of the stuffed toys she picked out. She and I did get free Dole frisbees, however, with our kids meals. Seriously delicious French fries!! After some photos and wandering around we were back in our rental car and taking a scenic right over to the west side of Oahu.

*Now here are some Dole photos before we get to the really good stuff!*

This is when we realized she is calling all birds "caca" because roosters say cockadoodledo!






We took what the map app said was the fastest route, and I loved it. It kept us off of the big freeways we were used to, and down some quiet, back roads and through military areas. I could totally see living on Oahu if I lived in these quiet places away from Honolulu! As we neared our destination we recognized the area right away. The roads get cleaner and prettier. Flowers are everywhere. Soon we came through the ritzy area and there it was. The beautiful building I was so giddy to see again. We were, as they said to us upon arrival, Home. Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa!


And here’s how the arrival went! (Note on the day I am posting this -- I have decided to do another post after this series, just about the resort itself, so I will try not to get too photo heavy on this one!)

We pulled in and up to the check-in/valet area. Right away a Cast Member was opening my door for me. What??!! Shawn had one on his side as well. Almost right away they were helping to unload our cargo onto a Bellhop cart. Yeah we had a lot before the trip, we have added to our haul! Then we took a few steps over for some ice water (with a hidden Mickey of lemons!) and our welcome gifts. I was given a flower lei, Shawn received a Kikui nut lei, and sleeping Katura got her own Menehune necklace.

Next, a Cast Member took us into the big open lobby area to hand us our keys and packet. He was full of information and explained to us that each day we will have a handout with the days schedule of activities. This sounds right up my alley!! Once he was done with us a Bellhop walked us to our room, sharing things with us along the way. It was beautiful. The smell is incredible. I don’t even fully have words to describe everything!

Our room is on the 9th floor. I paid for a standard view hotel room. (From what I understand most accommodations are Disney Vacation Club suites and villas.) In Titanic terms I opted for “steerage”. Well if this room is steerage then I am proud to be 3rd class! Holy cow!! From our balcony we overlook mountains, a golf course, a resort community and the ocean! No complaints here. **Note: After getting my final bill, I see we had a free upgrade to a partial ocean view room, hence why I thought we were pretty darn awesome for a steerage room!

The room itself, oh my gosh. Very comparable to my room at Disney’s Grand Californian at Disneyland Resort. The bathroom is fabulous. I cannot wait to use that shower/bathtub! Our beds are so high that we even have a little step stool for Katura. She also has bedrails, just in case. Best of all, after our awful tv selections at Hale Koa, we have Disney Junior!!

Katura was sleeping, and when she woke up and saw she was in a new place, well that was so cute. But when she looked up and saw Mickey Mouse on the table in our room? Then it got Super cute!! After unpacking our bags again, we went down to the pool to get our daily wrist bands, pool towels and to find out the pool hours. We didn’t have much time, so immediately we were switching into our suits and lathering the Turtle in sunblock.



The first stop was Keiki Cove.... a toddler only play area. Katura was in Heaven!! There were different fountains spraying water up, and overall it was only 2” deep. She was cautious as we approached, but in no time at all she was figuring it all out and playing with the other children. I felt especially proud of her not being shy, and not even noticing the fact that most of the time she was the only baby that wasn’t Japanese! She was making friends right away in that play area! At 5 o’clock the fountains turned off so it was time to make our way to the lazy river.





We grabbed a floaty tube and set out for two laps on a surprisingly long, winding river. There were beautiful views, bridges, tunnels and even warm, bubbly water when we went through a volcano. I can tell we will be in that a lot during our time here!


Next in this busy day was our most expensive meal yet! At the Ulu Cafe I realized eating here won’t be as easy as eating at a Disney theme park resort. We decided to go easy and get a cheese pizza for the three of us to share. (We will be eating off of this for a couple more meals!) We also grabbed the refillable drink mugs and a souvenir, refillable popcorn bucket. All of this very simple food cost just under $70. Yeah. That was not a typo!!!

As we always do now, we ate in our room and relaxed. Katura was such a good girl with her eating... finally! And she is saying “pizza” all the time, probably because we have had so much of it here.

Lastly we went down to the gift shop, Kalepa’s Store. Terrible timing!!! Two tour groups worth of people just leaving the luau filled the small store. It took quite a long time just to buy milk and a little purse for Katura. But we needed that milk!

Now we are in bed, with PJ Masks on TV. Shawn is snoring, and I hope Katura will be soon, too! It’s been quite the busy, nonstop day!

~ ALOHA ~
°o°

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº