Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A Running Post for Non-Runners. That's You!

I've babbled on for a few months now about my training runs, and then my race, and some of you are probably OVER IT! Where are posts about that cute baby? That's why I started reading her blog, and now it's all about running?? Well... this one is about running, too, BUT I thought maybe I'd cover some of the NON-running aspects of my hobby that maybe you didn't even know exist! And for the sake of the baby fans, here is a photo of her on our first walk together with the jogging stroller. She was 1 week and 1 day old. Needless to say, now that she is a young lady over 2 years old, she is a pro at stroller runs!

So, running. I basically only run as prep for races. I LOVE racing - although I never actually RACE. But anyway. Having a training plan written down forces me to follow it and stay on track. And my photos on every run? It is my way of holding myself accountable. I have this fantasy that if I didn't share my running photo that one of you might wonder what's up and ask if I stopped running. So I follow my scheduled plan and take a photo every time to remember how that run went and keep myself from slacking and skipping runs. But this is about the racing. 

I like to always have one on the calendar as motivation to train. Once I pick one out I work backwards from race day to plot out my training. And I run. But there is also the pre-race fun stuff. Perhaps the thing I dote on the most.... my playlist. Every race has its own. On my phone right now is a playlist for Ragnar and one for Shamrock. Each playlist is different. Staple songs/artist.... like Flo Rida, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears. Songs that are fun, yet maybe random... like King of New York from Newsies. And then there is one song that I ALWAYS have. My go-to song. I can be spotted doing some of my moves while running because that is how great this song is. What is it? All That Jazz. Oh man, I want to shake my shoulders and do some jazz hands just typing about it! This is where most of my pre-race time is spent, crafting the playlist. For example, for Shamrock last weekend I made a list that was the length of time of my slowest Shamrock race. The thought was if I am running and the music runs out then I know I suck and I need to get my ass in gear. *I never ran out of music this week. Unrelated to music but for those of you familiar with Portland, I have inserted the course from my Garmin right here. 

And here is the elevation chart from Shamrock. I swear this actually looks nicer than that incline felt!







When music is set, I brainstorm about attire. For Disney you know I go all out and we create full blown costumes made from running clothes. Running clothes = tech material and NOT cotton... except for that marathon where cotton was all we could find for our look and I thought I was going to melt and die. I probably put way too much thought into my attire, but I always say if I'm not going to win I may as well look cute! For Shamrock I got a green sparkle skirt, my Love to Run Prefontaine shirt for motivation, a thin shamrock scarf braided into my hair and rainbow compression socks - with the thought of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. See? Way too much thought for only me to notice! Honestly, I don't incorporate my shoes into it that much. That's my one area where I make sure I use what is best for my feet and my legs that day! 

So things are set. We have a race, we have trained, we have music and clothes. And this is when I get nervous. It is time to be in race mode. If you have been near me on a race morning you KNOW what I am talking about. Many a time I have nearly thrown up on the way to a race. I remember pulling over THREE times on the way to Eugene for a race. That's only 70 miles and I had to stop 3 times because I was feeling so sick to my stomach. I TRY to eat breakfast. What is my race day breakfast? I grab a bagel, and the proceed to eat half, if even that. At Shamrock I could have had the full thing, except I dropped half of it and stepped on it. Yeah, that happened. And I try to have a banana. I have to force myself to drink water, but basically I get so nervous that I can hardly put anything in my body.

What do I put ON my body? Aside from deodorant because I'm not gross, I use some anti-chafing lube... on my toes! I never get blisters when I lightly lube my toes! Depending on race length and attire, I might also use that same stuff on my legs where my shirts hit my legs on my inner thigh. This prep is especially crucial when it is a wet race. Oh, it is also important to trim your toenails before you race. One tiny cut on a toe from toes rubbing together can result in a lot of blood soaking through your shoe. Been there, done that, got the photos. And still sticking with body prep - for long runs you will always see me in compression socks, or compression sleeves. They feel like a nice, tight hug on my legs and always keep me happy before, during and after the run. Fashion AND function!

Trying to fix my hair before I met
Jack Sparrow. This is why you braid!!!
By the time I make it to the race I am all twitchy, can't hold still and need to keep moving to the start area. I fuss over my bib, trying to get it straight and not poke myself too many times in the process. My hair has to be braided. I learned that the hard way during my first half marathon where it took close to an hour to brush and two people to out the knots afterward! Also I like to make sure I have fresh lipstick on. It just helps. Heck, I fully admit I run with my normal every day make-up in each race. No shame in my game. Like I said, I won't win, so I may as well feel like I'm not an ugly troll. 

There was a race where I DID get first place in my age group, FYI. I worked hard for that!

Many of us have to wait in line for the porta-potties before a race. This part sucks. We are all doing the pee pee dance and trying to stay warm. Then you have stuff to deal with and hope you don't drop it when you're in there. I usually just leave my water outside in the grass. And I shove stuff in my sports bra for safety. It's like we ALL get that urge right before the run and those lines get pretty dang long!

Those people behind us? Lined up to potty!
At the start line, if I'm alone, I have my own traditions. For a long race I try to have 3 Clif chews and water before we get running. I generally do not run with water, so I get this all taken care of and hand my bottle off to someone before I go. I'll moderately stretch while waiting as well, mostly my calves. I get my Garmin ready with a GPS signal, and then keep checking it obsessively to make sure it is all still going by the time we start. Of course there is the start line selfie, and then a photo looking forward to the start line and behind me at the sea of people about to pass me. Then I tune everyone out, fiddling with my Prefontaine necklace, and visualize my run. By then, it is time to go. 

I will NOT run until I am at the start. You might line up way behind it, but for a chip timed race you aren't timed until you cross the line. Why on earth waste my energy running if I'm not even racing yet? So I will use the approach as a warm up walk. Once I am at the line I am running and starting my Garmin!

And now we are at the running section ... which this isn't about.  

Portland Marathon - my Adidas at Adidas!
While racing I try to just zone out. I'm always paying attention to my surroundings so I don't cut anyone off or transition to walking right in front of someone that is running. It is during my walk breaks I might whip out my phone to get a photo of the course if I feel like it. I usually end up bonding with someone while I'm running, so that's always fun to have camaraderie with a total stranger who knows what you're going through!

As I near the end I find myself doing extra math, computing paces, distances, how fast can I go and not die, when can I turn on my finishing kick, who am I determined to pass before we cross? And this is when my race nerves get going and I fight the urge to throw up. Yeah, I'm a puker, I can't help it!

I try to keep smiling in the finisher's chute, knowing cameras are getting you from every angle and race photos in general are NOT flattering! After I cross I hot stop on my Garmin. And I don't stop running until I am well across. I'm not going to lose speed and walk the second I am done. I keep that momentum going!

Then we runners scan the area. Where is the water? Where is my damn medal? Do I get a space blanket? I'm so hungry. Where are my friends? Where the heck do I go? Do I seriously have to walk all the way back to the car? Where is my food? Am I covered in salt? Are my toes still there? 

The mud hides the blood!
Your body goes through many strange feelings after a run. Heck, after the Portland Marathon I could barely get up stairs after. It was the most awkward feeling! After the Disney marathon I was certain all of my toenails were falling off as I was sprawled out on a bed. 

And the runger. Oh boy the runger. I remember Jenn and I going for breakfast after a half marathon - and we got mozzarella sticks as our breakfast appetizer! They were so good!

And eventually you take off your race clothes. You stink. Things feel all sticky and tight. You just want it off. But sometimes that isn't easy.... but you deal with it. And did I mention you stink?

THEN when it is ALL done, you check results, you feel mortified when you see your race photos (WHY do they have to sit on the ground and get action shots of you look up???) ... and then you start finding another race so you can do it all again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº