Saturday, March 3, 2018

Shamrock Training: Week 8

Who ran some great runs this week?? That would be ME!!

Last week I was running in snow, so when my first run happened and I didn't even wear a hat I was pretty darn happy! I pretty much just wear a hat to keep rain off my face, not for fashion or any other purpose. So I wanted a break from that - and I had it one time. This first run wasn't so bad. I did a couple out and backs from my house, but this time mixed up the distances so it was just a 50/50 split. I had to do something to keep it slightly interesting? At this point I could run these routes without even thinking. I've done this road too much! But it was a nice, sunny and dry run. As usual, the first mile was nice, the second was hard, and then the miles after that just got easier as I was finally in my zone. It is almost always this way on any run!

For the second run of the week I did it at my mom's house... in the rain. The whole time. The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down.... This was the mid-week easy run of just 3 miles, so really the rain wasn't awful since it was short. However, as usual, nice first mile, hard second, easy third. I have no idea why I am this way, but at least this means that when I do have the long runs I know they do get easier as I go! Nothing to report on this one really. I can report it was nice to finish a run and have a view of the river and baby swings!


And then came the long run! After this I pretty much feel like the greatest runner in the history of the world! Is that factual? Well, obviously no, but I did feel damn awesome!  I parked at an elementary school that I often will use as my base point, but this time I didn't have a stroller. It was just me and my music! I began this run as I always do when I'm in this neighborhood, and immediately hit the hills. This time I made it well over half way up the ridiculously steep hill before I walked the rest. No shame in my game, I totally let myself have a walk break if I feel like it. Why not? After I finished that monster hill I was floating down the next street and then realizing I have NO set plan of where to go next, and I loved it! I had seven miles to play around with. I ended up leaving the neighborhood and hitting our local park area. Some even seemed to have been going on, and groups of people were clustered, walking on the path. It was one of those situations where a group of 4 could take up the space of 10 people. So I diverted around a few times, hitting areas I haven't covered in years!

Wait, a small town like this and it has been YEARS since I've been in some of these places? Yes. Three years ago today my dear Grandpa left me. My running came to a halt because of that and the addition of IVF. I would try to run but I would just cry and go back home. Once I was able to run again I had a stroller and my options had to be adjusted. So now it was all free territory. I ran thinking about Grandpa the entire time, and I guess that is how I ended up taking a very sharp right, going down the steep hill, under the freeway, and then heading to the cemetery. It was nice to have a mid-run visit with my grandparents, although I was frustrated I had nothing with me to clean up the messy mole hill that is causing dirt to take over their stone. I'll go fix that soon!

I was well over half way done by the time I finished that detour, so it was time to make my way back to the original neighborhood I started at. I actually got to run on a lot of sidewalk I have never once run on. It was awesome! And my legs felt weightless. I was in the zone and flying along. Seeing as it was one of the major roads in town and tons of traffic, well that probably helped me keep going and not even think of slowing down or walking. Thanks, traffic! In no time at all I was back and passing my car. That did suck, I fully admit. I had .3 left to go when I was seeing my car and running right on by. It's like the Eugene Half Marathon where you pass the finish line at mile 9 and have to continue to go another 4.1 miles until you cross it!

Anyway, that was a lot about a long run, but it was just the best run I have had in a long time. My body is so happy to be back up at those longer distances. My mind is happy too, and super excited for race day to finally get here!

Countdown to Race Day: 14 days, 12 hours, 33 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº