Saturday, May 26, 2018

Things We Did In College: Moving Day

September 26, 1996 was the big day... the day I moved out of my house and into my first dorm room at Oregon State University!

My mom and I loaded up Veronica (my Honda), while Grandma and Grandpa had his pickup truck full of things. After loading up with fuel we began our mini caravan to Corvallis.


How cool is it that I actually have a photo of me on the freeway heading to school? Don't I look like I'm speeding along?


Because I probably was.

As we got to Cottage Grove I found myself next to two large semis, my mom next to me, my grandparents following behind. I got nervous. So I worked that gas pedal to get me out of that situation and a little more breathing room. Mom noticed. Grandpa noticed. And so did that State Trooper with his radar gun pointed at me. 

BUT! I saw him, too! And I panicked and immediately got myself wedged between cars in the right lane and got myself off the freeway at the rest stop. Meanwhile he was trying to pull out, but there was so much traffic he couldn't do it. Hallelujah!! Thank you busy traffic for saving me!!

At the rest area I hopped out, breathing a sigh of relief.

"I saw what you did there, Ronnie Rae!" Grandpa said to me, laughing.

How embarrassing would that have been to get a speeding ticket with my whole family in attendance as I'm off to try to be a responsible young adult on my own? But alas I won and still don't have a speeding ticket to my name!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº