Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Relay Therapy Session

I'm still processing the latest turn of events. Ridiculously excited. Absolutely petrified. I'm going to kick ass, right?!?  What the heck am I talking about? I'm talking about none other than yours truly running Hood to Coast next month! THE ultimate runner fantasy race/relay and I am going to be participating!!

Why the crazy range of emotions and feeling confident and also worries of failure? Probably because of my last relay. Let's just back up though and work through this together. Therapy session time!

In 2011 I had the chance to fill in a spot on a Hood to Coast team. I had never done a relay and really wanted to give it a shot. Unfortunately work was awful. It was the most hostile work environment and I was in tears nearly every day when I had to return after lunch. The thought of even asking to have two days off to go run was just not even an option and I had to sadly decline. *I'd like to note that things have turned around thanks to staffing changes and I once again love my job and co-workers!*

I got a message from Carrie, an old grade school/high school friend, in 2013 that she was putting together a team and did I want to join. Um... let me pretend to think... YES!! I was able to recruit my husband to join (and we added a mini-vacay to Vegas on our way down to San Diego because we are awesome like that. Why wouldn't you hydrate for a 200 mile relay with non-stop rum??) Then I asked a couple (Garth and Elizabeth) I had seen running in our town and met once or twice, and they happily joined in. Finally we had one spot in our van left to fill and that went to Tara, who would be my partner in crime for the duration of the Ragnar SoCal relay in 2014. We had a blast!! My race distances got adjusted to add miles at the start, but that didn't even phase me and I kicked ass. Team name? Rum Runners.



I had no relays appear for the next few years, which is fine because I was busy at OHSU creating a little human and getting acquainted with being a mom.

Now let's get to 2017. It was a Saturday morning and I got a text message from a guy I met two times, and ended up piercing my nose with during an OSU football game nearly a decade ago. His Ragnar Northwest Passage team needed a runner ASAP. I jumped at the opportunity and only days later I was meeting my new team... team name? Rum Runners. It was meant to be! I warned them I was totally NOT in race shape at all. My time was always dedicated to my baby and running when I could get a chance. I ended up with some pretty difficult, scenic runs during that relay and did the best I could. Not my best, but the best I could with no training at all. And I met Tabitha, whom I had many parking lot hijinks with. LOVED this team so much. Seriously a great time and I am so happy I was able to fill in!


In May, Sara, from that first NWP Ragnar team, messaged me to see if I wanted to fill a spot in the Wild Rogue relay in Medford, Oregon in June. I was so disappointed that I couldn't pull it off... mom duties called... but I told her to keep me in mind for future relays! *Remember this.*

Earlier this year the friend from the first relay tagged me in a post of a group needing a runner to fill a team at that same Ragnar Northwest Passage relay this year. Well we all know I said yes, and brought along my husband to help fill the other vacant spot. If this was the only time you ever ran with me you would NOT want to do it again based on my running performance. In my 80+ races (90+ if you add in each relay leg as it's own thing!) my two absolute worst race runs of my life happened during this relay. I was physically and mentally prepared. I was ready for this. And multiple things all colliding and adding up and that damn sun... I just tanked. My night leg was awesome. That was me doing what I do. But the other two were just NOT me. They do not represent my running at all. Sorry, Indecisive Running Mofos!! I flat out sucked, and I was trying. Major run fail.


That race ended the evening of July 14. On July 20th I was messaged by Sara from the 2017 Ragnar team to see if I wanted to join them for Hood to Coast next month. I couldn't sit still. I jumped up in excited disbelief. Is this real?? And IT IS!!! Better yet, I get to be in the same van as Tabitha again! AND my husband is helping out as our official Van 1 driver. I'll be runner number 2. If you know my last name you know this is perfect! AND I will be going over 1700 feet downhill on my very first leg (see the chart below). It's funny because during the Ragnar a couple weeks ago, when talking about my uphill legs, I said if they were 5+ miles downhill I'd love it. Well, the joke is on me because that's exactly how I'm starting my first (hopefully not last) Hood to Coast!


I never even put my safety gear away or folded up the official packing table. So I guess it was meant to be. I can just start setting everything out again. And I will keep training and try to get my mojo back after my epic race fail at Ragnar. I CAN do it. I CAN! I WILL DO IT!! There is absolutely no reason for me to even worry. Well, I do feel the whole team is going to be made up of speedy runners and, I will be the runnerp that comes in much slower and has walk breaks. But I WILL do my very best. And I have to run without earbuds so that will be new. I'm so excited for everything! I get to see the start line up on Mount Hood. I get to finish on the beach in Seaside as part of the Lady Storm Squad. I get to meet new friends and reunite with old teammates. It WILL be epic! It is the mother of all relays, how can it not be? I feel so dang lucky!

And where will my relay future go from here? Captain of a Ragnar PNW team next year? Heck, I already have one full van put together without even trying! As a Captain I can promise FUN! I'm never going to be the fastest runner, but I will always be the positive team member encouraging everyone and documenting the adventure of it all. I will make everyone feel included and hopefully send everyone home wanting to come back the next year to do it again!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº