Friday, August 31, 2018

HTC18: My 2nd Run aka When The Winners Smoked Us


Decked out in head to toe neon I was more than ready for my second run (leg 14) of Hood to Coast! I was already very familiar with this section since I travel it often to visit family and I ran a lot of it during the Portland Marathon. So I had no concerns. This was going to be another standard run for me, which I think I like since I didn't want any extra race nerves hitting me during Hood to Coast.

The sun would most likely be setting during this run, so I was required to run in my reflective vest with a headlamp, and flashing lights on the front and back of me. Add that to my neon and there is no way you wouldn't see me coming! As a matter of fact, during my run I encountered a motorcycle officer watching for speeding drivers and he even paused to compliment me on my outfit! I've been accused of dressing to get attention. I really don't. Hood to Coast recommended bright colors for my last two runs, so that's what I did. And the rest I just wear because I like it and its fun. Why be boring? I am not the best runner, so I may as well have some fun with my race attire!


Alright, so around 7pm Friday night I was at the exchange point waiting to see Renee come into view. I had enough time to go potty, get my bib on, a signal on my Garmin and my music going, and then she was there! She's seriously so sweet, I loved our hand-offs. I grabbed the slap bracelet and took off with a smile and bounce in my step. And apparently my boobs got massive....

It was crazy how great I felt. Like my first run, I went for a while before encountering other runners. Naturally they did start showing up and passing me, but not for quite a while. It was very strange when I had to make 2 turns to get through a rather major intersection and ALL traffic was stopped just for ME. I felt rude making everybody wait, but let me tell you it kept me moving quickly!

After this intersection was my first incline of the entire race, as I went on a bridge over the train tracks. I was pleasantly surprised at how I flew up that mini hill. Sadly this was the last time I would have that light feeling in my step. After rounding a corner and getting onto the main highway path my ankle gave out. It had been tender prior to starting the run but I was being optimistic that I'd be okay. It wasn't feeling great, but it wasn't incapacitating me either. But then came the IT band issues.

In 2011 the Eugene Half Marathon destroyed my IT Band on Amazon Parkway. To this day I always run Amazon Parkway with caution - or avoid the race altogether if it takes me on that path. And to this day I still have IT Band issues if I get a path with a lot of slant to it. Well, the majority of my second run had that slant that makes my leg scream. How embarrassing that the one time I stop to try to stretch out my ankle and leg and that is the moment my teammates drove by!! Seriously?!? I swear I wasn't slacking!!!

The rest of my run I would push until I just couldn't take the pain and had to take a walk break. My hamstring would occasionally seize up on me as well, but fortunately never a full blown cramp. If you drove down the highway during this time and saw the neon girl running with a limp, yeah that was me! BUT did I let it get me down? Heck no. I constantly reminded myself how lucky I was to even be participating, so I kept my spirits up and continued to do the best I could. At one point I was getting passed by a much faster guy. He could have ignored me. He didn't. He actually paused, turned around and fist bumped me while telling me I've got this. WHAT?!? That was so rad! So rad that I snapped a photo to help me remember.

I continued trying to find a flat surface, occasionally running in dirt all the way off the side of the road. Nothing really helped, but I tried. I was lucky and since this run was over 6 miles I actually had a water station on the course. What a setting ... right at the St John's bridge. Time for a water in a picturesque setting selfie? Yes. Yes, it was!


I think passing the bridge and hitting new territory was the mental boost I needed. Maybe there was magic in the water. My leg was still hurting, but somehow I managed to suck it up and get through it better than I had been.

I was running by bars with their doors open. Did I look in and fantasize about grabbing a drink? Heck yes I did! I also kept watching the vans passing me. I had been keeping an eye on Heart 'N Sole, as well as watching for the Bowerman team, Dead Jocks and Toyo University who came over from Tokyo. They were projected to win and run at a wicked fast pace. Toyo started hours after we did. I mean a ridiculous amount of hours later. And it was during this run that they caught up to us and passed us. They had a pretty sweet, large van. Lucky. I guess that's what being an elite team gets you. And they DID come in to win, with Bowerman coming in second. 

Pain aside, I was really proud of how I ran this leg. It hurt and I still pushed. I never wanted to cry. I never let my mind get frustrated. I focused on the positive and kept my body moving, surprising myself at times at how well I was doing even though I was gimpy. Heck, I even got my first road kills of the race during this leg. Not only did I get road kills I did some while going uphill and they never caught up to me again!

*Road kill -- when you pass someone on the course. Usually I'm being killed, so to get some kills of my own is pretty darn exciting and fun!

This hand-off was confusing. It was hard to see Dustin with all of the headlamps aiming at my eyes. Once we did hand off I had no idea where to go. I was told to stand in a spot, but never got the word that I could cross the street and meet my teammate waiting for me. I'm sure it made sense to volunteers, but to a person that had been up since 1:50am and been going non-stop, it was confusing.

All in all it was pretty darn awesome! I didn't feel like I let the team down, which is always an ego booster! I love that feeling of joining back up with the team, getting in the van and still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº