Wednesday, August 28, 2019

HTC19: Leg 1. So Full of Awesome


The 2019 Hood to Coast Relay was my 6th relay so far. This single run was by far my absolute favorite! I don't know that it could ever be topped, but I'm game to keep doing relays and seeing what can compete with it. Last year I filled in a spot at the last minute and was runner 2. I loved running down that section of the mountain, so when this year's team formed I crossed my fingers to be runner 1. I love a challenge, and I saw that crazy hill as a doable challenge where I could push myself to run hard, not fall, and do my best to help the team get a little ahead of schedule. Let's be honest - if you assign me to do some serious UPhill runs then you're not going to get a speedy run out of me. I can walk that sucker fast, though. So back to my first leg.....

We left Tillamook at 8pm Thursday night, arriving at a rest area in Government Camp at 11pm. This would be our stopping point for the night, and given this was also my exchange point I knew we were about 6 miles from the start line. I set my alarm for 4:30am and just hoped. I hoped I'd actually be able to sleep in the van for most of those 5 1/2 hours. I was wrong. I tried to not move too much so I wouldn't annoy the other 6 people sleeping. At 3:30am I was sitting there staring at the lights blinking in the intersection. And then I had to pee.  Well that was that for me. So at 3:30am I was in the very warm bathroom brushing my teeth and doing my make up as I prepared for my first leg of this relay. Then I killed more time staring out the window in the van watching the teams drive by as they worked their way up the mountain to the start line. My nerves were very happy once we were in motion and starting our big climb as well.

It was dark the entire time, so you won't see any pretty sunrise photo of Mount Hood right here. But it was still great to round that corner and see it looking down at us! Once we parked Sara and I jumped out of the van with our safety gear in hand and booked it to the safety check-in tent. We got there at 5:15am. It was here I knew I was going to have a good run. Why? Because over the loud speaker they were playing my song... Back That Azz Up!
Girl, you looks good, won't you back that azz up
You'se a fine mother***er, won't you back that azz up
Call me Big Daddy when you back that azz up
Hoe, who is you playin wit? Back that azz up
This run was going to be my bitch. I knew it! The safety check was fast, and I quickly had the slap bracelet on, giving us the official OK to start our race. I ran up the hill to the merchandise tent for quick look around. Tried on a shirt, tossed it at Shawn. Saw a visor, grabbed it, tossed it on Shawn. And then I was out of there!

I approached the start area and was told I was checked in and to hop on into the official area. Oh man, I got goosebumps just thinking about it again. Here all of us took turns taking photos for each other under the start line. And then we all patted shoulders and wished each other good luck. I really liked it. It was this crazy sense of community we built in a matter of moments.

At 5:30am we were off!! I started basically at the back of the pack because I think ahead ... I asked Robin if she could get a photo of me running and for that to happen I knew I needed to be on the far right side by the spectators, which meant getting at the back of the group. Starting in the back meant I had a whole pack of runners I could pass. And pass them I did! As one who is usually passed, but with downhill running being my forte, I had an absolute blast racking up the kills. I slaughtered them! *Kills are what you call it when you pass runners during a relay. I am normally road kill. 

We started in the dark. Around me it was a sea of red flashing lights, headlamps, and safety vests reflecting off the van headlights heading up and down the mountain. But as I worked my way down I came around a corner and was greeted by the sunrise working its way into the day. It was awesome!! I am so happy I have mastered taking photos while running because this was a sight I didn't want to forget and I wanted to be able to share with everyone.


As we drove up to the start line we saw the first wave of runners heading down. I said I hoped I would make it far down the mountain before the next wave of runners passed me. Well.... one woman I saw running in the 5am wave... yeah... I passed her. I was the 5:30am wave. And I had maybe a mile, I think less, to go before I was passed by only 2 men from the 5:45am wave of runners. Who am I?!? Where did this speed come from? I love it!




I don't know what more I can say about this. I ran downhill for miles. I never stopped. I didn't want to stop. If they'd have let me I would have just continued and ran leg 2 as well. Going into this everyone tells you how Leg 1 is the hard one. It is quad pounding. You kill your legs for the rest of the relay. Well when I finished that run I felt incredible! The only strange issue I experienced was my chest hurting as I came in to the end. But I also had major elevation change so I imagine my body will notice that in unexpected ways. My butt discovered muscles in it I didn't know exist. Oh man, I just loved it. Absolute pure joy. Not gonna lie, I still feel that run and I got pretty stiff throughout the relay.... but still even today I was thinking how I would love to go back and have someone take me to Timberline Lodge and just meet me at the bottom so I could do it all over again. It was ridiculously fun!

  

As I approached Government Camp I had the tiniest hill. Nobody would call it a hill, but any incline after the steep decline I had feels like a hill. I didn't let it stop me. I knew the exchange area well since I had just slept in it, so I powered on through. Along the way I ran into the volunteer I visited with twice in the bathroom prior to the race!


Sadly all good things come to an end. I was happy to see Jill's pretty face waiting for me, but darn it, that means the greatest run of my life was over. I just hope I can do it again some day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº