Thursday, September 26, 2019

My 10th Prefontaine Memorial Race!


If you know me as a runner at all then you know Steve Prefontaine is my idol. He is what motivates me to run. I did my first Prefontaine Memorial 10K through his hometown of Coos Bay, Oregon in 2010 and was instantly hooked. I made it a vow to always do the race no matter what. When doctor's said I was too old of a pregnant lady to run I still went and did the 2 miler. I just cannot miss this race. Heck, this year I even cancelled a family camping trip because it was scheduled for the same weekend. This. Is. My. Race.

This year was my 10th running of it, and the 40th anniversary of the race in general. To say it was an important one to me would be a huge understatement. I wanted to do something big this year. I wanted to run my best. I wanted this one to be one I would remember. Well... I also didn't plan on having my brain leaking for a few months and thus not being able to train like I had wanted. But that's okay. I DID do my best that day and it is certainly one I will remember!

It is common knowledge (I think) that I tend to put a lot of thought into my race attire. The reasons for what I wear might not always be obvious to outsiders, but they have meaning to me. This year was no different. I ran my first Pre in 2010 in my Prefontaine "Love To Run" shirt. I wore that shirt again in 2012 for my first marathon. With this being my 10 year anniversary I knew this was obviously the shirt for me! And as I was dying on Agony Hill someone quoted my shirt back to me, reminding me that I love to run. Thanks, I needed that!! **He did then say "Downhill, right?!?" Exactly!!

My entourage and I arrived at packet pick up over an hour before the race, just as I prefer. I was able to get my bib, shirt and tons of free posters of Pre!!! My running room already has 3 up, but I will never turn down a free poster with Steve on it. Once I had finished collecting my things we drove up to park at Marshfield High School by the finish line. It was here that my attention was caught. As I lubed up my toes, got my socks and shoes on, and brushed my hair I kept watching these older men. They were the same age that Pre would be if he were still alive. They had matching Men of Oregon shirts on. Who were they? I needed to know. But I'm shy. If you've done a relay with Shawn in your van you know that he is NOT shy and he would get to the bottom of this!

Around 9am we left and went to downtown Coos Bay for the start line activities. There was a little marketplace thing being set up with various vendors. We had an hour to kill, so we went shopping! And I noticed the heat. It was so early and it was already noticeably warm. Ugh... I love this course when it is raining. This is not one that you want to tackle on a hot day!

At 9:45 I made my way into the Art Museum so I could pay my respects to Pre in his dedicated room and hit one final potty stop. On the way I ran into more of these men in the matching shirts. I started texting Shawn their bib numbers so we could look them up after the race. Well, while I was in there he was outside talking to some of them! Turns out there are a group all put together of people that new Pre in some capacity. Some ran with him in college, high school, etc... I knew it! While I was in Pre's room with two of these men I completely eavesdropped on their conversation. One of them was saying how he was talking to Jeff Galloway at the last summer Olympics and wondered if  maybe Pre is so important to running because he died so young and at the top of his game. Jeff Galloway told him that he thinks Pre would have been very impactful and helpful to the running world and still very active. He said Pre's attitude and desire woudl have made him the best coach out there!

Finally it was time to run. At 10:05am Linda Prefontaine started us off on our race. I'd be very happy to see her again because that would be I was at the finish line! I started off strong and happy. My cheer squad was a ways down the course watching for me, so I knew I had to at least pretend to be an awesome runner until I passed them, right?!? Unintentionally I started the race behind 3 of the men I had been watching in the parking lot. I made a note to myself that I ran with Pre's peers for .2 miles before I backed off. Go me... ha!

At .92 miles I passed one of these men. Forget that he is almost 80, okay. My goal was then to just try to beat him. Let me be faster than ONE person that knew Pre. To cut to the chase - my goal was complete, and I did see that speedy old guy finish the race after me! 

Race wise I have nothing to report. It was a standard Pre. I ran awesome downhill, I tried going up, then walked fast the rest of the way up. Except Agony Hill. I was so hot that I actually did get concerned about myself at one point. I didn't have a need to push so hard that some of the EMTs along the course would have to come save me. So I happily walked up Agony Hill with a bunch of other people that were equally hot and melting.


I felt like I had the track to myself at the end, and I freaking loved it! I still gave it my finishing kick even though I had no one to pass and no one behind me trying to pass me. *Psh, nobody passes me on Pre's track!! This year was the first year we got finisher's medals, which was a nice surprise. I never leave feeling sad that I didn't get a medal, but this year felt appropriate to receive one. I happily have it hanging at home with my collection!

Did I run my fastest? Hell no. Not even close. Did I enjoy every step? Heck yes!! Did I sweat a ton and end up a gross, stinky mess? YES! Will I do it again next year? Are you kidding?? OF COURSE!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº