Friday, September 27, 2019

When First Met Worst

Here's the story of this photo from the 2019 Hood to Coast relay.... when the first place team met Lady Storm Squad. **We were NOT the Worst, but it rhymed!


I had finished my second run of the relay. I was in the process of trying to not be sweaty so I could change into my next set of clothes and feel slightly clean again. We had a runner on the course, one runner getting ready, and a third walking with her to the exchange so she could then walk our current runner back to the van. Meanwhile 3 of us were in the van talking and relaxing. Shawn, our driver, was taking advantage of a calm moment to get out and walk around. That's when he spotted the van.

Knowing I'm totally a watching of other teams and always looking out for names I know he knew he had to point out the van behind us. Oh my gosh, it's Bowerman! Bowerman TC to be exact. And being Shawn, he quickly went over to talk to them! (FYI, if you don't want to actually talk to someone or get a photo then don't you dare say it out loud near Shawn or it WILL happen!) Jill liked the yeti -- so this happened thanks to Shawn!


Oh wait, for those of you not obsessed with tracking certain teams... Bowerman might click in the heads of Oregonians as being a Nike name.... like Bill Bowerman, co-founder of Nike and college coach of my idol Steve Prefontaine. The Bowerman team is not one to even dream of competing with. These guys are faster than fast.

During Shawn's conversation he learned they would be at that exchange for 7 minutes.  Not 6, not 8, not even 10. These guys knew their paces and teammates so well, they knew that they had only 7 minutes until they would be back on the road. They were running on track at this point to be the winners. *Spoiler alert, they won!

Well, being Shawn, he asked Chris if I could have my photo taken with him. What Shawn did NOT know is that while that was happening I was sitting in the van completely topless! I had on my Chawel (my bag/towel/blanket/portable changing room), so it wasn't like a full blown boobie show or anything. I popped my head out when he shouted my name, and then he just died laughing. I had now less than 7 minutes to get my photo with this guy and I'm half naked. I've never managed to get on a sports bra and shirt over a sweaty body so fast!

But obviously I pulled it off! I got to shake hands, chat about how I was just in his home town less than a week ago, and then wish them well. We said we'd see each other at the finishing party the next day ... and I DID in fact see him... as they were getting their trophy!



Meanwhile, Lady Storm Squad continued to run our best and have fun making our way to the coast. And we beat one team.

And we were freaking awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº