Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 - It Happened.

It's that time again .... time to look back at 2019 and see what the heck did I do to pass the time. Before even starting I can say it feels like a blur. I feel like I was dealing with medical nonsense for a majority of the year and it kept me from doing more of the things I'd prefer to do. But I bet it was still a busy one. Let's do this!

January - Yeah, that started as a medical mystery. I had an infuriating visit with a wannabe doctor boy that I will NEVER deal with again. But then I met with my new medical person that actually got the ball rolling in the right direction toward getting me fixed! I had attempted to run at home on a treadmill, but realized that was NOT going to happen given the medical disaster I currently was. There was one super exciting that happened this month... we booked our November Walt Disney World/Disney Cruise Line vacation! 

February - Aww, Katura turned three years old and started hula lessons! Sure, she was a drop out a few weeks later, but it was cute while it lasted. I got to see my cousin Christopher direct the Salem Orchestra, so that was pretty darn cool!! It was also this month I was seen by a neurologist and sent for scans which revealed I did in fact have a Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak in my head which was causing my intense pain and inability to do anything at all. Also, something all of us in my hometown area won't forget ... Snowmageddon! Man, all those days with no power and just an insane amount of snow. Maybe let's not do that again in 2020?!?


March -  We took our delayed trip to Great Wolf Lodge to celebrate Katura's birthday. And then all 3 of us got really sick from our visit. Ugh, that was the worst! A positive in this month was going to OHSU to see the neurosurgeon and then the ENT doctor that would send me on the path of further tracking down of my CSF leak and getting me fixed! The downside? Then spending a day and a half with things shoved up my nose and in my hears, a lumbar puncture, scans ... so much medical stuff!! But then the month finished on a fabulous note with Katura going to her first day of preschool! She has loved every day of it so far!



April - Backstreets Back, Alright! I celebrated avoiding brain surgery by dying my hair purple and going to Las Vegas! Backstreet Boys two nights in a row? Don't mind if I do! Making eye contact with Kevin as we sang together? Sure, I'll do that! Have a moment with Nick? You got it! Visit Vanderpump Cocktail Lounge for the best cake ever?? Did that, too! Katura had her Spring Program at school and it was just too darn cute. And then she and I had a lovely day together just us girls enjoying the fresh air at the Oregon coast.


May - What happened in May?? I think I was just in medical limbo waiting for a follow up appointment from my day in the hospital. We did the Wildlife Safari a lot. And Katura continued to really enjoy school and making new friends.


 
June - I started off the month learning that my brain was in fact healing itself and so once again I avoided any brain surgery! Hip hip hooray!! And an extra way to celebrate was by going to New Kids on the freaking Block with Amber Dawn. We had so much dang fun, I want to do it again! One of my highlights for the whole year happened when we took the motor home camping with my "twin" Sara and her family. It went by way too fast. Let's do that again, too! Remember the baby deer that was born at our house? That was in June, too. Katura and I also walked in the Pride parade this month. It was so hot, but a great day to be out for a great reason!


July - Swimming lessons began - and they haven't really stopped! July wouldn't be complete without running a relay, and that's what I did! It was my first time as a captain for a Ragnar race. Glory Daze was the best! So much fun, and it brought new friends into my life. Now I don't dare relay without Michael, and Dustin and I got to continue our streak of being hand-off buddies. What was the big takeaway from that relay?? DON'T LOCK YOUR KEYS IN THE VAN!!


We are over half way done. We can do this!

August - Katura and I started this month with our annual trip to the Enchanted Forest. She can do rides all by herself now! Swimming lessons continued. And running was happening. I was feeling great with training, and I was able to hit my fundraising goal for Hood to Coast. And it was at the end of this month that I got to feel the complete exhilaration of running leg 1 of Hood to Coast. Downhill for miles and it just flew by. I absolutely loved it! And I got to meet someone on the winning team, so that was pretty nifty, too!


September - First day of school time, and Katura got to move up to the next level in preschool. Her boyfriend and one of her best friends from the prior year were still in her class, so she was pretty happy about that. Ooh, I forgot about this!!! Comic Con!! The relay trio of Ronda/Dustin/Michael reunited, and introduced Jessica to the posse, so we could get our geek on. I met Tim Curry!! AND we all got to fist bump Zachary Levi TWICE!! This year was also my 10th running of the Prefontaine Memorial race. Always love it, but dang this was the hottest year so far!




October - October meant time in the pumpkin patch, decorating pumpkins, carving pumpkins, eating pumpkin pie and me whining about the ever annoying Great Oregon Shakeout. I seriously hate that day. Also we had front row center seats for Disney on Ice where Katura became good friends with Belle/Anna. A little while later I got a private message from Belle/Anna about how cute Katura was and how she made the skater so happy every time she saw her there in her Belle dress!

November - I did nothing. We stayed home inside our house and never did a thing. OR.... we had the most epic vacation in the history of my life! Walt Disney World AND a Disney Cruise??  WHAT?!?! It was pure magic. You all know I loved it. Absolute Disney perfection. And I flew the Millennium Falcon. This was also the month Katura got to go to a birthday of a classmate for the first time. She was so brave, braver than I'd ever be in my life! Oh and I got first in my age group at a VERY cold race!


December -  We pet George, an elephant! That was just way too cool, thanks Wildlife Safari! This month was all about Christmas gatherings, decorations and presents. I can add Kylo Ren's Shuttle to my Lego collection of the Millennium Falcon and BB-8, and Katura can now say she has a big girl bike!



Pretty much my CSF Leak and Meniere's Disease dictated this whole year. I kinda feel like a failure, but what can ya do. Can't change that, so I just have to continue to always adapt and function as best as I can.

What's in store for 2020? Who knows!?!?

Definitely some Ragnar Relay action -- this time on a mountain and trails, but NO vans!! What?!? We are a small team that will be camping in tents and running our way around Mount Bachelor. I have no idea what I've gotten us all into! No big vacations on the 2020 calendar, but that leaves more time for small getaways in the motor home. I've decided I can't register for races too far in advance anymore - thanks to that stupid Meniere's Disease nonsense. BUT I hope to keep myself running when I am physically able to so I will be ready for our trail relay! Comic Con is batting its eyelashes at me, so perhaps I'll be back at that as well - Michael Rosenbaum, I'm looking at You! And maybe I'll go milk a cow! Bovine? Cow? I'm overthinking now - Jill, I'm looking at You! ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº