Tuesday, December 17, 2019

What's a Florida Disney Christmas Like?

It's that time of year again that I love.... Christmas specials on television, namely Disney Christmas specials! *At this time I'd like to give a huge shout out to Sarah (you'll see her in this post). She's been helping to make that television magic this year! We all see the shows and commercials showing how fabulous it is during the holidays in Walt Disney World. And it really is. I did NOT want to leave last month. When it started snowing on Main Street USA everyone was just smiling, happy and singing along with the Christmas music while putting their hands in the air to reach for the snow. On the ship we saw some Christmas entertainment and it felt like the most authentic, old fashioned Christmas event. Perfection!

But what is it like to WORK in Walt Disney World on Christmas Day?? In 1997 I had the day off and didn't have to brave the Magic Kingdom and cook an insane amount of burgers and fries. How on earth did I get so lucky? Although I did spend that day alone in my apartment because everyone else had to work. In 2001, however, that was not the case!

You think Disney, you think Florida, you think Sunshine! Here's a visual look at that Florida sunshine....

Eet was tough and just went with a warm hat. Meanwhile I stayed warm in our gigantic coats and a poncho. Those coats were the best. It felt like wearing pajamas to work. I loved when it was "cold" and I could wear it!



We had virtually no guests that day, which gave Laurie some time to clean rafts that came through with dissolving park maps in them.


Moniq, my future roommate, was NOT a happy camper! Perhaps in Indonesia they don't have to freeze on Christmas in the rain? Notice she has on the poncho.. AND long sleeves AND gloves. I'm telling you we really did have to bundle up some days!


Tina had fun with the day!


The sole three Americans working the ride that Christmas. We goofed off A LOT. Why not, we had NO guests!! It legit rained almost non-stop and was cold. I guess most guests didn't feel that was how they wanted to spend their Christmas day?



Poor Pim. I think this photo summarizes her feelings that day.


Beam. She always made me laugh! You might remember Beam from this post about her last day and jumping in the Chakranadi River! Let me explain this photo to you because I love it. The worst idea happened that year. A portable heater was brought to the exit area of our ride. It had a gigantic flame. It really wasn't intended to DRY guests off. Naturally with an open flame it had to have a babysitter. The guests were fascinating to watch, and I don't use "fascinating" in a flattering way. Assholes. They turned into complete assholes. And we had to babysit them. Fights almost broke out because people wanted to get dry at the heater and thought other people took too long. We all hated this spot. Thankfully this was short lived. Absolutely awful idea. Well, Beam was the one babysitting our guests and heater ... and was also noticing that a crazy thing was happening that maybe doesn't happen all the time in Thailand? It was so cold she could see her breath! I had to capture this moment!


Finally the park was closed and it was time to go home. That year we did something special at closing. We did the "good night wave". Other nights I had a cute scarf to wear, but I don't see it in this photo. Basically a few of us Cast Members were stand on the bridge leading from Discovery Island to the Oasis and say good night, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc to the guests as they left. Seeing as it was Christmas I was happy to be able to do it that night!


So working in the park at a water right on a cold December day? Quiet and silly!

What about when it is night time and you all work in a park that closes at 5pm? You come to my apartment! Robin had the summer holidays, I took the winter ones. I couldn't the main dishes, but my friends also brought things. Herb brought the best mac and cheese using his mom's recipe! I feel like Jeff brought peanut butter cheesecake, but I could be wrong on who it was. Anyway, this was normal for our crew to get together at either my apartment or Robin's and we would have game night!

Christmas 2002 was one of those nights. Tons of food and dessert... and games! Below you can see Herb and Sarah - previously mentioned for her awesome work with this year's Disney holiday shows.


Not sure what game this was, but clearly we were getting into it as seen by my hand gesture! Notice both of us in this photo double layered in shirts AND sweaters and we are INSIDE! Live in Florida long enough and you will get cold for a couple of weeks each year!


And lastly, here is one of Jeff and Lindsey before they created Hunter. Awww, they made a College Program baby, and that baby is NOT so little anymore. Makes me feel old! 


And there is a look at my Florida Christmas life. Each year was the same.... my apartment, food, and games with my Florida "family"! With all of us being away from our real homes I think we came together quite well to fill that little void!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº