Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Double Dipping In A Thunder Storm



This post shall count as my Castaway Cay 5K race report for day. It will be short. Here we go:

  • I did the race again. (Now my 3rd time doing this race.) 
  • It was soooo hot... 88 degrees at the start to be exact.
  • I was supposed to be doing the Ragnar Trail race in Oregon this weekend, so instead I did these two races back to back. Felt appropriate!
  • I forgot my headphones and my water.
  • I let myself stop for selfies at photo spots.
  • I hoped for more rain because I was dying.
  • I finished and THEN the storm came back.
  • So I went to the beach and ordered a drink that was waiting for me when I returned from changing out of my race attire!
  • And if you watch the video ... I DID save my run.


I started off the day already smelly when I put on my damp race clothes from the day before. Eventually I was adding fresh, new sweat so then I didn't notice the leftover sweat. That's a win, yeah?!? I brought both of my medals with me so I could get my post-race photo with them (although I took them before I actually even made it to the race course).

The storm was freaking awesome!! It really was the highlight of the day. Perhaps it is that we are from Oregon, but the rain didn't phase us at all. It was so hot that the rain was refreshing! And my life in Florida was always enjoyable during storms, so I was in heaven with all of that thunder we had. At one point we were the ONLY people in the water on our entire beach. When can you ever have all of a Castaway Cay beach to yourself?? There was no way I was going to just hide in the ship or under cover somewhere. I was going to be wet in the water anyway, so why not just go for it during a storm?

A highlight of this day was because there weren't any other people there we were able to get VERY up close and personal with some fish. We would just sit still and relax and these very large, almost see-through white sort of clear fish would appear practically touching us as they swam though. So cool!



Last, the bike ride.... We live on a hill. We don't have easy access to flat places for Katura to practice riding a bike. And I can't fit her bike in my car, so we don't just pack it up and head to a park. So when she and I decided to rent bikes for a trip to the observation tower we did it knowing this was going to essentially be her first ever REAL bicycle ride. Yeah, she fell a few times. But she got back up and never got hurt. We walked a lot of it on the way back and she said never again would she do this. I bet she will change her mind some day. I was really proud of her, and we did have a lot of fun on our adventure. And you know what ---- she fell, but I almost did, too! Like mother, like daughter!

Some come along with me and see a stormy day at Castaway Cay!

(I'd like to pretend that rhymes, but sadly Cay is pronounced like "Key".) Oh well.



See ya real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº