Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Run #8 - Starlight Express

The Las Vegas cast of Starlight Express
Are you familiar with the BEST musical in the entire world, Starlight Express? If not, hurry along and familiarize yourself. I can't get enough of it. I was lucky enough to see it three times in Las Vegas and once in Orlando. The very first time I saw it (10th grade, Las Vegas Hilton, 1994) my entire body was covered in goose bumps the second the music began. I leaned over to my dad and said, "We are definitely seeing this again!" Once it was over and I gave my standing ovation, we went straight to the box office to buy tickets for the next night. Aside from wanting to be an astronaut, my huge fantasy is to be in Starlight Express! Singing and dancing on roller skates. Pretending I'm a train. Oh, I just love it so  much! In Florida during my first internship we didn't have a TV for a while. My form of entertainment was to turn the lights down low, crank up Starlight Express and dance around singing for my roommates. I'm sure they loved it.

SO .... last night I took a break from my regular play list and I was once again a train! It was 9:45 by the time I went out, so the neighborhood was pretty much asleep. Let me tell you, this run was a blast! I actually did sing a little - not too much, I was running after all. I did have jazz hands. I WAS the Starlight Express! Nothing like hearing the revved up music of Greaseball the Diesel to get you pumped up and ready for 3 miles of cold, dark running!

Yesterday when I returned to my desk after lunch it appeared a sneaky little Santa had been at my desk. There was a gift bag with no tag as to whom it was from, and inside? A WDW Marathon shirt! Since they don't seem to be having any Disney Princess in Training shirts this year like they did last year, I've decided to call this my official Disney training shirt. I even wore it out for my run last night!  A co-worker had bought it when she was in Disney World in 2009, but nobody ever worse it. She found it last weekend and knew I was the one to have it! I love it!

And finally, because I tend to get a little number obsessed (probably why I work in Finance), I thought I'd share with you all my little board behind my chair. I thought it would be fun to keep track of little details to help keep me motivated. Once I start seeing numbers go up, then I want them to rise even more, even faster. This actually helps me to not feel as nervous about my long runs that are about to finally start getting "longer" - which I suppose is relative since my longest run of this training has been 4 miles. But hey, you have to start somewhere!

The holy was a digital effect - my desk is totally NOT festive!

7 comments:

  1. OK - I love all three of your topics in this post! Crazy music, fabulous shirt, numbers-oriented fun (geeks unite!) And hopefully, you can do something so that your desk IS festive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Starlight Express in London when I was a freshman in high school - I flippin loved it!

    Maybe that's why I gravitated to roller derby . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starlight Express? - is that when the guy gets arrested and put in a Turkish Prison?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Numbers rule! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the shirt. And yes, we so need to meet up at the hippie chick! At least a picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS... I saw Starlight Express in London in 1996 :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. And then I scrolled up and saw someone else saw it in London too!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº