Monday, May 2, 2022

Castaway Cay 5K and a Half?

During our 2022 Spring Break cruise on the Disney Fantasy we were lucky enough to stop at Castaway Cay on our final day. I say "lucky enough" because we were already behind schedule the night before at dinner, then the weather wasn't good in the morning. Word on the pool deck among crew members was that they weren't positive we'd be able to dock. But we did! That meant running my fourth Castaway Cay 5K race on the island.


In all 4 times of running this is has never been 3.1 miles. Maybe I'll find the sweet turnaround spot next time?

I enjoyed the course, as usual. It was raining off and on. And crazy humidity at the same time.

I was running great, but the humidity always knocks me down. Oregonians and heat and super wet humidity don't mix, okay?!?


One thing I noticed very different during this race than the one in August was the amount of people. So many people this time! All ages, skills, sizes. It was really cool to have us all out there together. But what I also noticed was they all vanished. I followed the signs. I took the right hand turn and went toward the cabanas. And then I never saw another runner.

I also never saw a turn around sign. So I went to the end of the path and turned around when I hit the end - but not before taking in the views of the ocean and a nearby island. Back to the bicycle rental shack I went and hurried to the finish line.

3.6 miles.

A 5K race is 3.1 miles. I had an extra half of a mile. That's a lot when you want to just hurry and get back to the beach to go swimming! And all those other runners? Heck, I can tell you then didn't even get close to 3 since they didn't even make it to the cabanas at all. But you know what, I don't care! They were the smart ones. They got to the beach faster than I did. Smart!




At the end I was given my medal and a lady I had been around a lot during the cruise was getting hers. So we figured why not celebrate each other and get some photos!?! I seriously love Disney Cruises and the people I meet!

As per usual I loved it - even if it was long. Will I do it again? Yes. Very soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº