Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Eugene 5K

This was the race I expected to run in 2020, back when I was feeling great and planning on training for another marathon. Covid happened and races all came to an abrupt halt. I had to defer to 2021. And then I had to defer to 2022. Finally it was race day.... and I wasn't trained.

I had started my training plan and was feeling really excited about following my full calendar with short runs, long runs, cross training on my spin bike. It felt great to finally have racing becoming a reality again. But I was also faced with another reality... Ménière's disease. I've been dealing with this for close to 20 years and it seems like when it comes to running my desires are losing the battle to what my body wants. I was finding it more and more difficult to train. I'd sometimes only make it to the end of my street and I'd have to turn and walk back home. I'd always tell people where I was running and have someone on alert in case I needed picked up. Vertigo was dominating my runs and it just wasn't fun anymore. It was frustrating and scary at times. So after a lot of thinking I came to the realization that I can't fully train for the half marathon and I'd need to "retire" from long distances. 

Clearly the 5K race I was doing was not what I'd call a long distance. BUT the fact that I didn't train for the half meant I also didn't train for the 5K! Fortunately when it comes to racing I'm pretty dang casual. I don't set time goals for myself. I don't compete with other runners. I just go out to enjoy myself and the people. I didn't want to do virtual races during Covid because my idea of racing is having spectators, water stations, other runners. And that is exactly what I wanted from this 5K - to just enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie that comes with these big races.

I stood at the start line by myself, listening to some music and getting myself mentally prepared for the challenge ahead of me. Then I looked up and boom, there was Emily! We were both surprised to see each other, and also super happy. Emily and I have a knack of finding each other without trying when we don't even know we will both be somewhere. This has happened in Oregon multiple times, California and Washington. Clearly we were meant to be friends!

So we began the race together. For a little time we were separated because I think I just had the whole Eugene vibe rub off on me and I pushed harder than I should have. Add in that downhill and I hauled ass. I enjoyed that they changed up the 5K route. I was kind of over the one I have already done so many times.

Half way into the race I was bringing out my phone to vlog and Emily was back! We spent the rest of the race together and it was so much fun. It has been so long since I ran with a friend - and one that isn't Shawn. I think the last time I ran with someone that wasn't Shawn would be Dustin and I doing the Holiday Half in Portland back in 2018!


Time flew by and soon we were approaching Hayward Field ready for our big finish. I don't even know if they said my name because I was too busy waving at Katura and she stood at the side by the finish line cheering with her cowbell! That is a great way to finish a race!!


We got our medals, took our finisher photos and then parted ways. As I went home I was optimistic about the half marathon the next day, but still also not really sure if I would do it. And if I didn't, I at least had a blast doing the kid race with Katura and the 5K with Emily!


Spoiler alert... I DID do the half marathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº