Tuesday, April 14, 2009

On the Search for One-Eyed Willie

April 4, 2009. It was an amazing day that I would happily repeat over and over again! Lady was sporting her new hair cut and bandanna when Michael arrived at our little cottage. Of course I wasn't completely ready, but soon enough we were piling into the car and on our way to the coast.


First stop was the Umpqua lighthouse at Winchester Bay to take in the ocean view. We quickly hurried to nearby Lake Marie. It is nestled away among the trees off to the side of the main road. It was so peaceful and pretty. Lady was happy to stretch her legs and investigate all the new plants, while Michael and I enjoyed the view of the water and sounds of the birds.

Lakeside and Ten Mile Lake were next. I couldn't resist a stop at McKay's. The amount of condiments they carry is very impressive! (see linked photo album!) Nothing has changed in that store since we used to visit there every summer. For the first time in 10 years I got to physically touch my lake. . . it wasn't exactly warm! Lady got to have a sip; I think she enjoyed it.

Back in the car, we were on a quest for food. T.J. Shaw's is apparently gone now, so we ended up grabbing some fast food and eating down at Bastendorf Beach. Lady loved the fries, Michael enjoyed a strawberry shake, and I enjoyed the view and great company.

Sunset Bay was calling my name! The weather was great and the tide was out, which made for a lot of fun at the tide pools. Michael was having fun looking at teeny tiny crabs -- until I found him some starfish, sea urchins and anemones. Of course we could not pass without poking an anemone or two!

Lady wanted to be the guide dog and lead us up the hill to the cliffs overlooking the ocean. The view of crashing waves from up there is breathtaking. That crazy Michael insisted on venturing down the side of the cliff and making me very nervous - mostly I was worried about my camera being dropped! Walking back we were momentarily lost when we ignored Lady's sense of direction. Getting lost allowed us to watch some little brown squirrels flirting on a tree, so it was worth it!

Sunset Bay was fun, but we were ready for a REAL beach .... namely Bandon. The old town area was bustling with activity - but our goal was the ocean. I hadn't been to Bandon since January 1996. Seeing those majestic rocks again was so cool. We must have spent hours on that beach enjoying sea lions and horses. By far the highlight of the whole day was finding some unexpected caves. I had a few true Goonie moments! Even Lady was having fun exploring the caves and tide pools. I do believe she actually chose to go for a swim when we were in a secluded sandy beach amongst the enormous rocks. Or she was just trying to impress the male German Shepard that was nearby!

The sun started to set and we decided to head home. Our plan was to watch Goonies that night, but my DVD was shockingly missing from its case. (I should probably alert the proper authorities about it.) It was a travesty! (I immediately went out to buy a new copy!)

Best Weekend of 2009 .... so far!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº