Tuesday, November 26, 2019

DCL: Embarkation Morning

Perhaps you are like me and you have never been on a cruise before. I can navigate Walt Disney World without their apps. I have no need for a travel agent when I go back "home". People try to give me their tips and make suggestions and I just smile politely and nod.  I know my Disney stuff! But when it was decided to cruise, well that is a whole foreign concept to me. We did use a travel agent for this - mainly so we could have someone help make sure our transfers to and from Walt Disney World were set, AND (this is the main reason) we got shipboard credit just by using a travel agent. Free money to spend on the ship? Sign me up. I know what you're thinking - but you paid extra for a travel agent. No, we did not. We got our quote from the agency then called Disney Cruise Line to get a quote for the exact same thing - the price was exactly the same - but we wouldn't have the perk of shipboard credit. So that was an easy decision! Plus with the agency we used we got a little care package delivered to our house before the cruise with things we didn't know we needed. It was so cool! Anyway, the point is I know how to fly and get to the parks and take care of myself completely unassisted. But how the heck do you manage getting to the port and on the ship and what documentation do we need since we would be leaving the country? It was one area I studied a lot just so I knew I would be prepared. And now I'll share that experience with you so if you decide to join the cruise life you'll maybe know what to expect on your first day on a Disney cruise!


We had spent four full days in Walt Disney World prior to the cruise. It was time to shift focus. The night before we sailed we were given our departure information for the morning, and we put our "hurry get all of these things packed" plan into gear. The biggest challenge? Packing the Droid! In the photos you'll see here with Shawn and a backpack - the Droid is in there! Everything was ready to go, and we had notice that bags would start being picked up at rooms at 8am, so we needed everything ready nice and early! I was up with enough time to get us all ready before the bags left. Next it was breakfast and just playing around Port Orleans. I took a walk to the French Quarter, Shawn and Katura found the arcade. It was nice and relaxing, but still bittersweet. I mean who really wants to ever leave Walt Disney World? 

When it was time we went to the lobby around and met up with the other cruisers. Everyone was getting ID ready to show so we could board our bus. When the buses arrived each family name was called and we made that awesome walk to the bus. EEEkkkk!!! It was awesome. We were all so giddy and excited! I think we may have been the last family to get a seat in our bus, and then quickly we were departing for the Port!



As we neared the beach I was busy staring at the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA while everyone else was trying to catch a glimpse of the ship. I was so excited to sail, but being the first female on the moon was always my dream job, so you can be certain I was looking at NASA!! But then there it was!! Katura had fallen asleep, so I was really excited to wake her up so she could see THE Mickey Boat right there waiting for her!


Everybody got off of the bus, grabbed any carry-on luggage they had and then went to the Port for security. We went with just the Droid backpack and my mom bag. Shawn says "diaper bag" I say organized bag great for holding passports. Pictures aren't allowed at security, so here's what it is like. You enter the big rounded part of the building you can see in the photo to the right. Everyone shows ID and then bags go through screening just like in an airport. This is where we got stopped. No Droids on the ship! So we had to say good by to our little friend. We got a receipt to show when we got off the ship so we could collect our friend, and then went right up the escalators to the main building.


And then I freaked out. Its like all the YouTube videos! A model of the ship was in the center, happy Cast Members ready to help were everywhere. Arriving on the Disney bus meant we didn't have to linger. We got to check in and go right onto the ship! First we needed to check-in. I had the paperwork already printed, so that made it faster. Katura was already registered for the Oceaneer's Club so we got her official bracelet for that. If you have been to Walt Disney World, this is basically a magic band that can track her location and has everybody's info associated with it for when we pick her up. We showed our passports and ID and were given our Key to the World cards. This is super important! It gets us in our room and and helps us shop! There is NO cash used on the ship, unless you're tipping room service. Everything is charged to your stateroom account. The card notes your dinner time and restaurant rotation, as well as cabin number and the fact that we are Disney Visa Reward card holders - meaning a discount when shopping!

From there we got to walk right to that beautiful entrance you fantasize about. The big Mickey ears! Once going through that we scanned our cards for the first time, granting us official permission to board the ship. We stopped at the photo op before going - I would share but I had like 30,000 chins and don't feel we need to look at them! Instead, here is a video!


Every single family is introduced as they step onto the ship. The magic starts right away I tell ya! And I barely made it in and got this selfie... as I was fighting back tears. It was just so beautiful! I spent hours (understatement!!!) preparing for this. It was finally happening and I couldn't believe it. It was a real life fairy tale for me!
 

From here it is almost a blur. We walked around with our mouths open. It smelled delicious. It sounded like perfection. I felt like Rose walking into the Titanic. I was in absolute heaven! Staterooms would be available at 1:30, which was getting close. So we took our time and made our way to Deck 6. Once the little rope was dropped we were the first ones in and making our way to the front of the ship. Opening the door was like when the Wizard of Oz turns to color. It was this beautiful, colorful vision. I thought the room size was great! AND we had decorations!!


I got us the Christmas decoration package for our stateroom. We had garlands hanging from the ceiling, a magnet advent calendar, a Disney fish extender, a Mickey Mouse head shaped pillow and the most comfortable, warmest blanket ever! We used that a lot during our cruise - and still do every single night at home!


I'm going to cut this off here, and continue the rest of the first day in a fresh post. You'll learn about the party we went to in a bar - yep, I took Katura to another bar! - and the safety drill. You'll see how we spent our time on the upper decks as we left the port. And you'll see a lovely Florida sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº