Saturday, September 11, 2021

Castaway Cay 5K - The Race Report?

I always write a race report after I finish, so we shall count this as that report, although there isn't much to "report"!

It. Was. Hot. 

I feel like those 3 words could summarize everything! It was 84 degrees when I began running (and even hotter the next day, but we will do that when we get to it). 

So let's back up! The official race was not happening now due to the whole social distancing and experiences being changed thing. You could still do the race, and upon completion head to Guest Services on the ship and collect your medal. I did this race in 2019 and really enjoyed myself, so of course I wasn't going to pass up the chance to do a Disney race and get my Disney medal in one of my favorite Disney places!

Katura and Shawn went to the beach while I went the start line. I had my Garmin getting a signal, my music playing and my water bottle full. I was ready. What I didn't remember to do was load up on sunblock all over my entire body. My head got such a sunburn. My scalp was hurting the next morning. It was tender to the touch. And I even had on my traditional pirate bandana I race in. It slipped back and the Bahamian sun took advantage and fried my part! Like I said, it was hot!

Remember my last post where I said I keep running into the same annoying vlogger everywhere I go? Watch this video. You'll see him dragging his brother along in matching shirts just before I start to run. 

And so off I went to run this race apparently all by myself! Wait, no, I took you - the viewer of my vlogs - with me and I talked to you the entire time! Did I mention it was hot? And humid? Uh, yeah.

Running wise, since this is a race report, I was doing great. My legs felt great and were so happy to be running. But the heat was just zapping me. I was racing to get out of the sun and into shady sections so I could try to find any little ounce of slightly lower temperatures. The course was absolutely beautiful. I love all the little things along the way for photos. This time I didn't stop at them really, just grabbed photos as I ran and walked by. 

Water stops were few. I think I encountered 2. Where there was another water stop in 2019 I just found empty space. And signage was lacking. Had I not run before I wouldn't have known to turn right after the airplane. I didn't end up doing exactly 3.1 miles because I turned around too early. I just wasn't sure with the misplaced sign I saw earlier on. But you know what? I worked hard! I've run farther and faster many times, but physically this one was the hardest. I haven't raced on the surface of the humid sun before and my body really noticed.

I picked a spot to finish my final walk break and then pushed hard to the end. I got to finish listening to Jimmy Buffett, so that's pretty rad! And I saw someone I knew at the finish line, so that made it even better! Still panting and dripping in sweat (because really I was sweating from the moment we landed in Orlando) I went to the gift shop and loaded up on some essential 5K items like a shirt, backpack and water bottle. Then it was a beeline to my swim suit, sunblock and the ocean! And by 10ish in the morning I was sipping on a delicious rum drink and swimming. Best post-race celebration ever! 

*Oh, and I did get my medal back on the ship! I hear they have run out, but I happily didn't race and go home empty handed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº