Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Run #12 - Testing the Gag Reflex

Back in August during the SkirtChaser 5K in Vancouver I learned a little lesson. I learned that my sense of smell and gag reflex are very sensitive when I am running - and super sensitive if I am running hard! Right before the 3 mile marker I came upon a seafood restaurant on one corner and a Thai restaurant on the other. The race started at 5pm, so the restaurants were both busy and pumping out the smell. I don't eat seafood. I don't eat Thai. I was already dehydrated, melting in the 80º heat, and ready to collapse. When I hit those restaurants I almost started gagging and had to cover my mouth and just push on through to the end. I barely got my chip removed from my shoe and I was dry-heaving. All things lined up against me in that race - and culminated on the finish line!

Even when I run through my neighborhood if I smell people cooking dinner I automatically start to gag. My ability to easily throw up gets kind of annoying at times like that when I just want to run without issues. So last night I put myself to the test, unintentionally.  I was slated for 3.5 miles and I just needed some new terrain. I pretty much covered 1/4 of our city. Sad, isn't it?? We basically have 4 main roads that make a square. I did almost the entirety of one of those - and it took me by a local drive-in with the most delicious, yet seriously too greasy fries, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Long John Silvers. I had to pass all of them TWICE! And did I even gag once? Nope!

And it was in the 50's! It wasn't even "cold" out and it wasn't raining. I loved it. I actually just went out in my shirt from the first of 2 Fall PR races and my skirt for the 1/2. The skirt and I got along fabulously, which was pleasing to me. I mean who wants to hate the skirt they'll be in for 13.1 miles??  All in all it was a really enjoyable run. Only once did a car slow down, pretend to turn into me and lay on the horn, then speed off. Ah man, that was classy!  I think the 3.5 took me 37 minutes? So I feel like I did a little better at trying to slow just a hair. Plus I never walked on this one - not even on the two hills I decided to tackle. Yay - my confidence is rebuilding! Thanks for all the comments, too! I figured it must be normal that I question myself. But then I laughed because I felt like some adolescent .... "Am I normal?"

4 comments:

  1. Ugh...smells and running are not a good combo for me either. There's a million chinese and pizza place in my town that I pass along my route and it's gross. During the Wine & Dine, the Disney people actually thought it was a GOOD idea to have cooking demonstrations along the course! Do you know what fried onions and garlic smell like after 8 miles in 75 degree weather!!??! I saw a few people run immediately to the bushes. Luckily I was able to hold my breath for a bit but it was BAD. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate running past restaurants... hate it... ran past a lot in the marathon... made my stomach churn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a better run! Way to go!!

    On one of our courses we ran a lot for training there was a KFC...totally grossed me out every time I passed it. Smelt of biscuits and fried chicken....at 5 a.m. Gross!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lady,
    I am the same way when I run. I can smell things and it sucks especially with a sensitive stomach! Yuck!

    Cheers to better runs! I hope that you have a wonderful holiday! Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº