Saturday, December 25, 2010

Run #14 - Stink Eye

Two weekends ago I saw her. Late 30's perhaps, walking in her sports bra with a light jacket draped over her. Sure, it was warmer that day ... but it is still Oregon in December. Her sports bra was ridiculous. As I do with every single person I see on the path, I smiled at her. She didn't give off a friendly enough vibe so I didn't say Hi. For everyone else I smile and say Hi or Good Morning or - as I did on run #14, Merry Christmas!

Well yesterday during my run I saw her again. This time she wasn't walking. Since she sucked it up and was running I gave her my normal nod and smile. Nothing. I paused at my half-way point to look over the duck pond and see if I could spy any nutria or birds more exotic than just mallard ducks.  I quickly started running again and saw her in the distance ahead of me. My new nemesis. And what was she doing? Walking! Since she had, at that point, dissed me twice I knew it was on like Donkey Kong. I continued my pace and was going to have fun passing her as she walked. 

Oh but it wasn't just a walk for fitness, or perhaps a walking interval in a training plan. She had those hips going from side to side - if she had long, red hair (and the right figure) I would have thought it was Jessica Rabbit. I've never seen someone try to strut so much while supposedly exercising. Oh, the joy I had while running by her on my way back toward the park! And do you know what she did? She gave me the Stink Eye!

And then do you know what she did after I passed her? She started to run again! Well you know my pace picked up because there was no way she was going to be passing me. That day it was MY bike path! I was the speedy one. I was the friendly one. All of the other runners, and there were MANY new faces that day, were very friendly toward me. But not Stink Eye! Of course I had to laugh again when I glanced back during a curve in the path ... and she was walking again.

Now I have nothing against walking. My mom used to walk at least 5 miles every day. No judgment here.  But I will find joy in blowing by her after she gave me the up and down once over and ended it with the Stink Eye. And I looked really freaking cute yesterday, too!

So now I have one. My new running nemesis. I usually pick out the one person I WILL beat in a race. She is now the one I will be "beating" during my bike path runs!

In the end it was 3.5 miles of fun! The weather was great. The path was full of runners and walkers ... and Stink Eye. The duck pond was very popular. My audio book started getting more fascinating. I felt really good!

And now it is Christmas and I have the day off from running. My mommy and I will spend the day in our jammies watching movies. I gave her Angels and Demons and Inception. We've never seen either, so we're looking forward to them! Last night I got the Michael Jackson game for the Wii. I cannot wait to try it out! I already told Sushi Guy he'd have to come play ... he didn't object!  Also I am registered for the New Year's Eve race! I figure I am very independent and I will do what I want - and what I want is to race. If I get a date, too, well then that can happen after!  Still waiting for the Disney Christmas parade to be on TV over here. We have to wait until 5pm tonight, dang it. And .... coming up super soon... my very first giveaway!!! Stay tuned!! --and it is not the Adam Carolla book, although I haven't ruled that out. I just love the Ace Man and want to share his hilarity with everybody!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!


9 comments:

  1. Hahahaaaa! I'm glad you beat Stink Eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas!! Enjoy the day off from running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas!

    Glad you got to take Stink Eye down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I always slightly curse out the Stink Eyes in my park too. At least acknowledge me darn it!! Take her down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You totally had me captivated and wanting to know what would happen next! Great writing. :) Hope you enjoyed your momma movie time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like a nemesis for sure!
    I gave my husband the Carolla book because he is CONSTANTLY quacking about how wimpy men are becoming...perfect. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO! Stink Eye! Too awesome!!!

    And you better post some pics of you grooving to your new Wii game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. I run so much better when I pick someone out to stick with or pass... especially in the final stretch of a race.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº