Saturday, September 1, 2018

HTC18: My Final Run aka the Run with Cows


All good things come to an end, and way too soon I was starting to finish off my first Hood to Coast experience. We had a short amount of time to try to sleep in Mist, Oregon before we were beginning our van's final round of running. When we woke up it was darn cold. So cold that I made a last minute wardrobe change and opted to run in the long sleeve shirt I brought to wear while I was sleeping. In the end I probably could have done my short sleeves, but oh well.



My run started in a very small town called Birkenfeld. If I remember right in the blur of it all, I think we parked in the field of a quaint church. Renee came out of nowhere and I had a hard time even getting across the street to her because of the non-stop flow of vans blocking my path. But I made it, had my final hand off and good bye with her and set off for the last run in an area that is really my favorite type to run in.

Birkenfeld is adorable. So tiny. But very cute. I wanted to get photos, but I was only just starting and needed to focus and get myself in the zone. Right away I was loving it. I love running through farmland and nature. Remote runs suit me best I guess. I had rolling hills throughout the run and they never phased me. Again I was passing other runners, as well as being passed. But this time it was different. The sun was barely up, the fog was still lifting. We all had this early morning run bond happening, and you could feel it. As we passed each other everyone of us talked to each other. "Good morning, have a great run, enjoy your run, see you at the end." Always positive voices and messages being shared between us. I've never experienced that before and it was completely awesome! 

It seems that during every relay (aside from SoCal) I have a run where I end up with cows. LOVE IT!! It was van discussion early on in the race about how milking a cow is on my bucket list. So when I get to talk to cows any time, especially on a run, I am always giddy about it. Of course the one time I paused to get a photo of the scenery and the cows is the time my teammates passed me. My timing sucks!! Again, I swear I was really trying my best. But look at that photo --> I couldn't pass this up! It was soooo hard to not veer off the main road and tip toe into the ditch to pet the cows. There were quite a few whose noses I could have easily touched if I wanted to. Instead I said good morning, waved and talked to all of them as I went by. I'm sure the other runners thought I was a total weirdo but I didn't care.


My left IT Band started hurting again, which resulted in more walk breaks that I had preferred. But I still passed tons of people. How? The vans full of runners. They were backed up so far that I was concerned I'd be catching up to Lady Storm Squad before they got to the official exchange. Even walking (which I do quickly) I was passing vans. They'd get a gap and drive, then I'd be running and pass by again. This happened for probably the last 3 miles of my leg. It was fun though because I got to see all the van decorations and team names, and some are very creative! 

During this run I wasn't as upset to see the sign indicating we have just one mile to go. That was solely because of the pain my leg was in. My mind wanted to keep going until I hit the beach! I was mentally feeling so great. I was successfully finishing my first running of Hood to Coast - and hoping so much I will get to do it again, and do it as part of Lady Storm Squad. I am so honored to have been able to help fill in when they needed a replacement runner, and so proud to be part of a really great group of women. Coming into my final exchange chute I was so fully of happiness, pride and a little bit of sadness at its ending. And to make sure I didn't forget all of it I did something new.... I whipped out my phone, put it on video and recorded my last run in and the final hand off to Dustin! 

I did it! I ran Hood to Coast!!


I never once looked at my splits. I never looked at a finishing time for a run. I didn't even care. I truly did the very best I could and I am so satisfied with my performance. I have zero regrets on any of this experience, and I feel so relieved to be able to say it and feel that way. I will now look forward to next year and hope to do even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº