Sunday, July 21, 2019

Ragnar NW Passage: Leg 13 - A Hill Climb?

I was more than ready when it was time for my second leg of the Ragnar Northwest Passage relay. I started at the Burlington High School, where I had plenty of time to relax, wander around tagging vans with our team magnet, and sit with Dustin while we talked about all sorts of top secret girl stuff. The lunch at Red Robin prior to this probably helped me feel re-charged as well, not gonna lie! 

This was my first time actually having the slap bracelet passed to me during this race, and my first time ever experiencing a hand-off at a major exchange where all vans are present. Thankfully I didn't let them idea sneak into my head or my nerves would have been out of control!! I really enjoyed getting to visit with van 2 as we waited for Savannah to finish her leg. We only get to see our other van teammates at these major exchanges, so I tried to really absorb every minute of it.

Like clockwork Savannah came into the exchange exactly when predicted. That girl is a machine! I tried to use my not-so-subtle outfit to get her attention as she slapped the bracelet on me and I set out for a nice run of 4.5 miles. My goal was to finish before "nighttime hours" hit and I'd have to wear my reflective vest. 

Side story on the vests! Each person needs one. We were short one - but got through the safety briefing with a reflective shirt. I didn't need one in the end. Dustin ended up wearing Shawn's and then I put Michael in my vest and headlamp, with Shawn wearing his own for his run. Meanwhile I had on Renee's (from Hood to Coast) vest that Dustin had borrowed when I was out of the van grabbing runners. If this doesn't summarize relay teamwork and sweat swapping, then I don't know what does!
I felt pretty freaking awesome at the start of this run! I saw one of the guys from The Colonel Angus team ahead of me and used him as a goal to try to keep in my sights --because why wouldn't you want to follow the dude running in orange shorts from Hooters?? But that plan was foiled when I hit the traffic lights. You are not allowed to run until your crosswalk signal says it is okay. People break this rule, but as the team captain I wasn't about to do that. I recall in 2014 at the SoCal Ragnar a text was sent out that people caught running on a "Don't Walk" would be disqualified. I'd rather stand and wait than be a big ol' fat DQ! So wait at the first light I did. Then I was immediately waiting for minutes at the next crossing. That set the stage for this leg of the being a solo one. There were many times I was hoping I didn't get off the path because I couldn't see any runners in front of or behind me. BUT I love that sense of loneliness sometimes, too. It was a really peaceful neighborhood I went through and pretty darn flat!

And then it hit me. That smell. What was that?? It was awful. That motivated me to keep my feet moving!! Naturally I took a short walk break and that is right when my teammates went by. Embarrassing. I swear I was running!! I signaled I was feeling good and I'd see them at the end. They surprised me and I passed by as they cheered me on -- this time during a side stitch I was working out. I swear..I DO run!!! I got rid of that side stitch and got back into the zone, until I had a moment of horror. 

The signs pointed for me to go to the right. From where I was when I saw it, to the right looked like I was going up a freeway on ramp. That can't possibly be correct?!?! I even asked another runner I encountered if I was seeing it right, and then she showed me we actually turn and go on a sidewalk over a bridge. Phew! And going over that bridge was so nice, what a view!


Once across the bridge I saw everyone's favorite sign.... "One Mile To Go"!! Awesome! I texted Dustin to get ready, that I was on my way.


I had NO idea I had to scale a mountain in the last mile. Arg!!! All The Jazz came on, so I switched into power walking mode and tried to get myself up that ridiculous hill (and I really enjoyed the hill I ran down!). As hard as it was, I eventually ran in to the finish, desperately searching for Dustin's smiling face so I would know it was all over. I was soooo happy to see her!!

It was a nice run. I really enjoyed it, I just wish I didn't have that side stitch hold me back a bit in the middle. Part of me wants to be runner 1 next year just so I can tackle these courses again and try to improve on my performance. I guess we will have to wait and see!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº