Monday, July 22, 2019

Ragnar NW Passage: Leg 25 - Now That's A Downhill!

That final leg. It's always bitter sweet. Exciting to be done with the running aspect, and able to focus on supporting my teammates. But that also means my relay running is over until the next relay comes along. My last leg of this year's Ragnar Northwest Passage was, like the first two legs, a mystery to me. I knew I was running my shortest distance and I would end at a church. That's it! After getting a little bit of sleep on the floor of the Oak Harbor High School cafeteria I was up, re-braiding my hair, brushing my teeth and getting my compression socks on so I could go knock out 3.2 miles. This was also the first time I used a porta potty the entire relay (the second time being at the finish line party). Who clearly wasn't hydrated? Me!


Anyway... I found Shawn of Van 2 and chatted with him while we waited for Savannah to come in for the exchange. Eventually more of the teammates from each van arrived, and again like clockwork in came Savannah. She ALWAYS had on such a big smile. I mean every single time I saw her she was smiling! That got me all revved up and ready for our last hand off. And boom, I was off and running!

At this point in the relay your path is never congested like a typical race. You can go a long time and only see a couple of runners. That's exactly how this leg went. It was very early morning, so residents were still asleep as I went running through their neighborhoods. Not knowing where I would go or what I would see was quite fun! Our van passed by me early on and I signaled to just check on me once (knowing I was out there on an empty stomach and dehydrated.)  At the top of a hill I saw them again and I felt great. "I'll see you at the end!" I said, and continued on my way.

Then it happened. A beautiful thing I had no idea about. A loooonnnngggg downhill! If you have ever been around me in a race you KNOW I love to go downhill. My favorite part of the Prefontaine Memorial Run in Coos Bay each year is flying down the hills. I wanted to be runner 1 at Hood to Coast this year just so I could put my love of going down (haaaaa, that's what she said!!) to use. So once I saw this downhill I kicked it into gear and flew down way too fast. I say way too fast because that meant it was over too fast and I was back to normal terrain. Shoot! I hit an impressive pace for me - once that some teammates just always do naturally. You guys impress me so much! How do you do that?? I bow down to you!


Before I could even realize it I was at the 1 mile mark. I excitedly sent a text to Dustin. Get ready!! I was feeling awesome! I stayed in a zone, again having to pause at a couple of ridiculously slow stop lights. Some runners passed and one told me to just go. Nope! NOT gonna get our team a DQ!! I then realized that dang it, I had to send a retraction to Dustin. Yeah, I had less than a mile to go - but again another hill? What was I doing to myself?? But I made it. I can walk fast when I want to, so that's just what I did. And it actually did surprise me when I saw the volunteers watching us, and hear our team number called out. I was at the end??!! I did it!

And another bittersweet moment... at last year's Hood to Coast I handed off to Dustin. Unintentionally I ended up handing off to her again at this relay. At Hood to Coast next year we are in different vans and I won't be handing off to her. This was the end of our streak. So sad! But I still enjoyed the exchange and enjoyed all of this year's running! I'm ready for next year and a chance to run even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº