Monday, February 19, 2018

Shamrock Training: Week 6

With one month to go until the race, training is going pretty alright! But not all runs are great...


The first run was delayed. I was at work when a Meniere's attack hit me hard without any warning at all. My mom had to come pick me up because I couldn't even drive. This wasn't exactly how I planned to start my day when I was supposed to have the first run of the week. Still, I wasn't going to let myself get off track. So the next day, Valentine's Day, I was determined to get in my miles. Naturally, when I got home I was still all wobbly, but I didn't let it stop me. I did two out and back loops from my house, thinking that if something did happen or I needed to stop, at least I'd be close to home. This run was so hard!! Keeping steady was the easy part, it was my calves that were screaming in pain. I walked way more than I wanted to. But as usual, after the first 3 miles I loosened up and was in my groove. So I did have a good finish. Now if only I could get those first 3 to be easy, too! The foam roller was my friend at the end, ugh.

The second run of this week was the next day. I'd swear these legs that run this one were not the same that did the prior. I was on fire!! I have no idea what got into me, but I was flying through the whole thing. It was great. I finished with a big smile!


And lastly, the long run. Let's do a little refresher for anyone that doesn't know every tiny aspect of my life. In 2015 I was essentially told by all the doctors I worked with at OHSU that I was not allowed to run anymore. I could walk, and maybe add in a light jog and now and then, but no more running. Any races I had I either had to cancel or drop the distance down to a 5K or 10K. All of that led to being pregnant, and then having a baby and life being all switched up. All that goes to say that I am finally back to building up to my standard long distance runs. And this particular run was the longest training run I've had since before IVF started! And how was it? Pretty darn good! I got to run in SNOW!! I called it my "Lightspeed to Endor" run because the snow mixed with strong winds - well, it was like Star Wars was happening right in front of me! This was a run that required bundling. I had gloves, my warmest running skirt/pants combo, knee high compression socks, an ear warmer, hat and TWO long sleeved shirts. TWO!! Sometimes I'll do a short and long, or a tank top under a long, but two long? This is unheard of for me!

So anyway, that was a fun end to the week. Things got all shifted around on my schedule, but they all got done and I'm super happy about that!

Countdown to Race Day:  26 days 18 hours 58 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº