Wednesday, February 20, 2019

A Leaky Brain Sing Along

 Feel free to sing along....
Is this the real life
Is this just fantasy
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
This little ditty sums up my day pretty well I'd say.

For those playing along, you'll remember that last Wednesday I was at the neurologist. Thursday I spent my Valentine's evening getting my brain scanned with an MRA and an MRV. Then I began waiting.

Then yesterday happened. Monday I missed a call from my local doctor. I had no idea why since I am pretty much done there regarding this medical situation. So I left my phone volume on while at work yesterday, just in case. Sure enough I received another call from them. And this is where it all goes haywire - and sadly I wasn't even surprised. 

I was told that my scan results went to them instead of the neurologist. Supposedly the local doctor sent them up to Springfield, and they would call again just to make sure they got up there. They wanted to let me know that the results did show something, so they would make sure I got an appointment soon.

Do you think any of that happened? It appears not.

Today Shawn called Springfield. They hadn't received any results, even though they were the ones that ordered the scans. As it turns out, the local doctor didn't even get THE scans, just a little paper saying what the results looked like. The neurology people said to ignore what I was told. THEY will read the results and look at the scans themselves to determine any findings. So the neurology office took charge and set out to track down the scans so the doctors could look at them and make decisions.

I haven't parted with my phone all day, waiting for any calls. Shortly after getting home from work it rang. It was the neurology clinic. And this is when it all gets fuzzy. I handled the phone call. I wrote down some words. I tried to process everything.

Shawn woke up, calmed me down, and took over. He called back to get some clarification and find out what happens from here. This is where we are now:

It is very strongly believed that I DO have a CSF leak. I have been referred to OHSU as an URGENT case. They assured us I have been sent to THE very best doctor in the state for what I have going on.

What happens next? I don't know. I'm waiting for OHSU to call, but tomorrow morning we are going to call anyway to make sure they got the referral. 

And they assured us I am NOT dying. So there's that.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there. It sucks to have health problems.
    A mix of being scared and having to deal with lots of waiting and tedious procedures at the same time...ugh.
    The internet is a good resource ..you have to filter out the chaff but there's a lot of good sharing of information
    by patients and Drs.
    Stay upbeat!
    -paul

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº