Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Oh It Is SO On Like Donkey Kong!

In 2014 after my first relay I said that I could see myself just doing relays and skipping normal races. Turns out this only child that pretty much always runs alone actually LOVES running as part of a team! I know, crazy, right?!? I like cheering on my teammates, running back to grab them water, grabbing a safety vest if they don't have one, forcing my food upon them when they are hungry and don't have anything. If I can't be the fastest runner in the world I can always be a good cheerleader and support system. 

Plus you make awesome friends. A year ago I had no idea Dustin existed. Then we did Hood to Coast together, which led to a Christmas race, and Ragnar and now being training partners as we prep for Hood to Coast again and ultimately our 2021 marathon together. A facebook post put out searching for two runners to fill last minute vacancies resulted in Michael and I meeting in our Ragnar van last month. And now that poor guy has to put up with me every single day since, and isn't afraid to help me as I debate my Hood to Coast race attire. Tabitha and I can constantly send vibes of Unagi to each other after being complete strangers in a Ragnar van. None of these friendships would have existed if it weren't for me going way out of my comfort zone and running as part of a team.

So when Ragnar left obvious hints on Instagram about a new race coming, well.... I was more than ready! The day they made their first hint I had a private facebook group up and running. By the time I finished my long run for the week we already had a team of 6 ready to go for this mystery race. Ragnar told me to keep my eyes open next week. You got it! So yesterday was officially "next week" and they told me to watch for news tomorrow. 


And today is tomorrow!

From 8am on I checked Instagram every 5 minutes. There has been so much buzz, I wasn't going to miss out on anything by being slow. And as confirmed ... Ragnar trail IS coming to Oregon!! Without missing a beat I was on it. Hello! I'm Ronda, the Captain of team number ONE!!!  Number freaking ONE! We don't have our team name yet, but we have our number, our volunteer and a fabulous group of running friends!


And that's the new challenge of a being a captain. First it was easy to get Glory Daze together, and then I had to basically replace half of the team. That was HARD! But then we had the raddest group of people, and people that wanted to run with us but just couldn't this year. So now here I am, only 8 spots to fill, but so many friends that I'd love to have join us. I totally don't want to have to say no to friends that I have fun running with, but I guess that's the nature of the relay beast. Dang.

So Ragnar 2020, you're my bitch! We are on like Donkey Kong! I am so gonna run you and run you and run you some more.... and looks like I get to experience camping at the same time. Now THAT will be the challenge!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº