Monday, August 5, 2019

Tic - Toc - Tic - The Countdown is ON!

For nearly a year I've been pestering you for donations and pop cans for me to recycle. And happily with the help of friends and family Lady Storm Squad met the $12,000 goal (and then some!!) and we are officially set for Hood to Coast!! By now you know I'm madly in love with running relays, and Hood to Coast is the Mother of All Relays!


So what is it that I will be doing in this year's race? I'll show you!


First here's a little look at the overall map. We are starting way over there at Mount Hood - at Timberline Lodge to be exact. And from there we follow that path all the way to Seaside, Oregon, handing off a sweaty slap bracelet with each exchange. Trust me, by the end of this a little sweat from your teammate is nothing to even flinch at!




This year I am runner 1. I will be starting off Lady Storm Squad's 200 mile adventure at Mount Hood and race down the mountain for nearly 6 miles. I am ridiculously excited about this!! I LOVE downhill running. Don't assign me to go Uphill, unless you want to see my fast power walking skills. But DOWN?? This girl LOVES it!!!

I have chubby toes. I mean, I'm chubby all over, so of course I have chubby toes. I keep my nails trimmed at all times. But dang it I think my chubby toe rubbed against a neighboring toe and I cut myself. Three runs in a row I have taken off my shoe to find a bloody sock. I'm hoping I can get that to stop before my next run. I just keep envisioning my foot after 5.44 steep, fast, pounding miles. Can you imagine all that blood? I have time. I'll get it fixed.

So yeah, I get to start off with quite the bang and I cannot wait! I remember last year it was so cold and windy at the start line, so this year you'll see my race attire slightly switched up as I run in capris (and the infamous silver sparkle skirt) and arm sleeves. You know me, my teammates will have no problem finding me as they drive down the mountain to the exchange. Even if it is still dark, yeah, they're gonna see me!

For my second run I'll be hitting very familiar territory as I  run through downtown Portland area. I start on the east side of the river, finishing on the west on our way toward St. Helens. I feel like I can already do this with my eyes closed. But I won't. I don't want to fall.



And lastly the leg I'm very excited and curious about. And nervous. Only 3.8 "easy" miles. But I don't even know where the major exchange is. Last year Renee went to the exchange alone so our van could get on the road and not risk having her beat us to the hand off. I was runner 2, so I was busy getting myself all ready for that hand off. PLUS, it will most likely be completely dark when we are here. It was last year anyway. Dark and foggy. A sea of vans and "Tent City". I guess my only concern is just finding the exchange and our van 2 teammates! From there I'm excited about the run because it looked so peaceful and picturesque last year when we drove to the next exchange. I love barns and fields and cows. I can't wait!

I'm just so darn excited! Last year I looked at Hood to Coast as a possible once in a lifetime experience. I cannot believe I get to do it again!! And the bonus is doing it with friends this time, versus strangers that quickly became friends. Now I just need to wait. My mind is completely ready. I'll keep training. And I'll wait a little longer before packing the undies and sports bras in their appropriate zip lock bags. Everything else is ready to go!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº