Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Magical Moment For ME

Something we were really big on in Disney World were "Magical Moments." A little something special we'd do for guests to make their trip more special and memorable. In my time in Disney's Animal Kingdom Magical Moments would range from going on a ride with the guests and showing them small details that they might otherwise not notice, to bringing children up on stage to compete in a math competition against a talking bird.

Magical Moments don't just apply to guests - at least not in my mind. I've had a handful of things that happened during my stints working for the Mouse that to me were my own Magic Moments. Here is one now!
_________________________________

The year was 1997. The place was Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. I was on my 4 month internship during the Fall term of my Sophomore year of college. During my internship I rotated throughout the various Frontierland food areas; Mile Long Bar, Pecos Bill Cafe, the infamous turkey leg wagon, and two hot dog carts. My favorite job of all was the hot dog cart. My friend Ryan would cook the hot dogs and I would be the one to handle the money (all without a calculator, too!) .... 2.25, 4.50, 6.75, 8.00 .... The most hot dogs sold to one family was 18! It was at this spot that my first Magical Moment occurred.

It was Christmas break and the daily crowds were increasing tremendously. I was at the hot dog cart right on the parade route (where Santa Claus said hi to me once!) and across from Pecos Bill Cafe and Splash Mountain. As I was selling a hot dog to a gentleman he paused to take a look at me. He said, "I remember you! You helped me out last time I was here back in September - but you were in a red dress and inside the restaurant!"

This might seem little and insignificant. I helped 1000s of people a day with directions, drinks, condiments, advice ..... But to have a guest come back 3 months later and remember me specifically, things kind of came full circle for me.

Growing up we went to Disneyland quite often. I'd always recognize our same Jungle Cruise skipper or people working in stores. I knew they wouldn't recognize me since they had seen so many guests in a given day, but I always recognized them. It was so strange yet cool to be on the receiving end of the recognition after all those years. So as small as it was, that was my first Magical Moment ... I even wrote about it in my journal that night.

Thank you, Mr. Frontierland Food Fan, for giving me my moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº