Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Favorite Things: Magic Kingdom Attractions

I haven't yet decided how I'm going to break down rides/shows. I did decide I'll do it park by park, starting with the Magic Kingdom since that is the one we all associate the most with when we think of Disney World! I don't think I'll talk about every attraction, but who knows. I expect lots of bullet points. And photos!

Main Street USA
  • This is the mecca of shopping! The Emporium is the largest store, spanning basically the entire length of Main St. It gets crowded at the end of the night, FYI. They have everything.
  •  Ronda and Jessica, 2009
  • Walt Disney World Railroad. This rides around the perimeter of the park, with additional stops in Frontierland and Toontown (which I guess is closed since Toontown is closing?).
Tomorrowland
  • Stitch's Great Escape. Kids are terrified in this. I'll just be blunt about it. I don't enjoy it, I much preferred the original Alien Encounter. I have never been to this attraction and not had it be filled with crying, terrified children.
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Factory. If you are petrified of audience participation - stay away!! I was nervous the entire time and couldn't enjoy myself. Kids loved it and the technology behind it is really cool!
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Must-do! It is fun for everybody. If you don't want to shoot the laser then you can spin your cart. Tip: Aim for the hard to see, high up targets - they are worth more points!
  •  My boys in 2008
  • Space Mountain. It had a make-over! I like the new effects. Go check it out. Don't stick your arms up. It makes me paranoid. I actually sink throughout the ride for fear of being decapitated. I think we have nothing to worry about - the the worry makes it more fun for me! Tip: Beware if you are wearing a skirt. You'll be giving the Cast Members quite a view, so be lady like!
  •  Ronda, Jessica, Ryan 2010
  • Carousel of Progress. Great if you are tired and want a nap. Catchy song that I LOVE to sing.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority (People Movers). Must-do! This is also great if there are long lines everywhere else. It is long enough to give your feet a rest and you get some nice views of Tomorrowland and Cinderella's Castle. There are cameras, so think twice before you get too frisky in the dark parts!
  •  Poor Mommy was freezing! 2010
  • Autopia & AstroOrbiter. Long lines.
Mickey's Toontown Fair - it is closing before Princess Weekend is here. Sorry!

Fantasyland - a lot of construction right now, FYI.
  • It's A Small World. You know every word to this song. You need to take your children on it. You will pretend that you don't like it, but you know you do. And the line moves really fast!
  • Peter Pan's Flight. This line is ALWAYS long. I mean always. But riding in a flying pirate ship is cool!
  • Mickey's Philharmagic. Must-do!! This is just so good, I can't even tell you. And it smells good, too! This is the best 3-D show I have ever seen, and you will love it, too! Nothing scary, just all of our favorite moments from some classic Disney cartoons!
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant. I rode it once.
  • Mad Tea Party. Come on, it's a classic! And who doesn't love Alice in Wonderland??
  •  Mad Tea Party 2009
  • Prince Charming Regal Caroussel. (I had to cheat to get that formal name!) What better place to get some great photos of everybody having fun! I rarely ride, and I really should do it more. It's sweet!
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures. They aren't really that scary, I promise. And Dopey is too cute!
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. So fun! Love this ride. It is your typical "dark ride" and really worth the ride. I think all ages should enjoy this one - especially your smaller children.
  • Cinderella's Castle. Take photos of it. You know you will. Are you as excited as I am to RUN through it??
Liberty Square
  • Haunted Mansion. Clearly a big Must-Do! If you haven't been in years, this has also had an internal makeover. You aren't allowed to go to the Magic Kingdom without visiting the Haunted Mansion!!
  • Hall of Presidents. Another good attraction for napping/resting your feet. Pretty impressive animatronics inside, as well! (I'm kind of a geek and really into the "how" of attractions and learning about the technology behind it.)
  • Liberty Square Riverboat. You can ride it. I crashed into it back in 2003 during the Cast Member Canoe Races!
Frontierland - the Best! (I am 100% biased with this statement!)
  • Country Bear Jamboree. Fun, singing, cute bears, a nice break for the feet!
  • Pecos Bill Cafe. Okay, so it isn't a ride, I'm just pimping out my former stomping grounds!
  • Splash Mountain. My favorite attraction!! Unlike Disneyland, you get to sit side by side, which leads to less dirty water aiming for your crotch. Must-Do! Do NOT miss it!!! They have also just added lap bars during the last rehab. I'm curious to see what I think of them, and what it does to the wait/load/unload time. I am ALWAYS a camera hog on this ride. I don't mean to be. I just love to throw my arms up! Tip: If you have friends/family behind you that want to stay dry ... Duck. Especially if you are in row 1. The 2nd row people will get super wet and you'll have fun laughing about it after!
  •  November 2010 ~Ronda, Jessica and Ryan
  •  Check that out! 1997 - front row. During Traditions - doing the Disney Point!
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Probably intimidating to smaller children, but I find that once they ride it they love it! I won't tell you to turn around and look behind you on the ride. That isn't safe. So I won't tell you to do that. But it's fun! But seriously, don't do it. Okay, I have to say it .... you know you know it .... "Hang on to them hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"
  •  2010 Princess Weekend
  • Tom Sawyer Island. Children will LOVE this place and you will wish you didn't go out there because they won't want to live. Play on the fun bridges, explore the caves, check out the fort. Just be a kid - and you'll have fun, too! The worst part --- the raft ride to/from. People get pushy, so hold on to your children.
Adventureland
  • Enchanted Tiki Room. It is not the original. That's all I'm gonna say.
  • Jungle Cruise. If you have only ridden the Jungle Cruise in Disneyland, you cannot miss this!! Same idea, but there is one section that is all unique!
  • Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Basically it is Dumbo. Beware of the spitting camels!
  • Swiss Family Treehouse. Walk through at your own pace. There are many stairs, so keep that in mind. If you liked the movie you'll enjoy their Treehouse!
  • Pirates of the Caribbean. MUST-DO!! All ages will enjoy it. Women that are drawn to Captain Jack Sparrow will REALLY enjoy it. Pick the line to the right. I always see everyone go to the left while I go right. I get on faster than they do, so neener neener neener. Another attraction that is not equal to its Disneyland counterpart. Sadly I have to say California's is better, but I still love it and ride multiple times in one vacation!

So there's the Magic Kingdom! The rest will be shorter, but this is a big park with A LOT to do! There is the 3 o'clock parade, the Main Street Electrical parade and the new fireworks show. During the day there is a show at Cinderella's Castle as well. I really hope you all have a great time in this park. Sit and relax when you need to. Enjoy a Dole Whip. Take in some shopping in the unique stores. Enjoy Main Street at night with all of the lights! I don't like to see stressed families or crying children. This is the park that I began my Disney career in, so it is always like home to me! ºoº


8 comments:

  1. Completely agree with Stitch...bring back Alien!! I went on it for the first time in Jan since it originally opened and yeah, I'm good for another 10 years. As for Space Mt? It scares the beejezus out of me when people raise their arms! I've been on it when they had to turn the lights on a few times and WOAH...crazy close to the tracks above! Philharmagic (other than Captain EO) is my all time fave 3D movie on property...breathe in the pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stitch is awful. My kids realllllly like the Laugh Factory. And now I've got "there's a great, big beautiful tomorrow" stuck in my head :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine being in the room when they came up with this brilliant idea to get rid of Alien Encounter and put in Stitch. Epic fail!

    And I am seriously terrified of the Laugh Factory. We did it once and wanted to leave as soon as we realized how it works.

    Ooh -- Fabreze has this scent. It is cranberry spice or something like that .... smells JUST like the pie at Philharmagic! I love to spritz it around my house when I need a little MK fix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever get back to Disneyworld, I want you as my tour guide! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids FREAKED OUT during the Lilo and Stitch thing. Yet another thing I wish I had known *before* we went!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to eat while I watch The Biggest Loser, so I don't fault people for zoning out to reality tv, but man, turning it into a workout game makes it so much more fun, and hilarious. We were screaming CRY CRY CRY every time a girl got upset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Disneyworld only Disneyland once a long long time ago. Hopefully someday we'll go and take our kids. You sure make me want to go now though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome recap! It makes me wish I was there RIGHT NOW!

    My favorite time riding Dumbo? During the fireworks!! First time the timing was purely accidental and it was so much fun!! Second time was planned and we just barely made it. It is really hard to plan. I think Aladdin is probably my more favorite ride, except when there are fireworks.

    I seriously love, love, love Peter Pan. Probably because you get to fly over London!! One time when I was flying into London we actually flew low enough and I saw Tower Bridge and I think Big Ben and I was like just like in Peter Pan! Ha!

    Carousel of Progress & Transportation Authority - love those rides!! And yes I now have A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow stuck in my head.

    Pirates, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Philharmagic - all good!! Can we go now?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº