Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Favorite Things: Disney Food & Drinks Edition

Who said that only Oprah can have her "favorite things"?? I don't watch Oprah, but I know she gives away an ass load of stuff on those shows. Sorry - I'm not giving anything away. No! Wait! Stop - don't run away so fast! Maybe I'll humor you with random photos of me in my youth or silly vacation videos. Who doesn't want to laugh at college Ronda in braces?

With the Princess Half coming up THIS MONTH(!!!!) I thought I'd not write about running, but instead about some of my favorite things where we will all be ... the lovely Walt Disney World resort. Warning - I'll just say it now, this is MY blog, so it is 100% biased! Some of you have yet to go to Disney World before, some of you haven't been in eons. Maybe I'll be able to use my years of working and vacationing  there to give you little tips of over-looked pieces of WDW!

Today my advice will be about something we all have to do .... eat and drink. I should point out again that I am a vegetarian that doesn't like vegetables or anything healthy. SO, you know, let's say you are bringing your small children along, then I'm helpful. OR if you like to "tip it" - I'm helpful here, too!

  • Here's one little tip non-food/drink related. I share this to spare you any embarrassment on your way from the airport to your hotel. When you see that big sign welcoming you to Walt Disney World don't bother looking frantically for the Castle or that big Epcot ball. You won't see it. Been there. Done that. 
  • Get the souvenir cup at your WDW hotel. It might seem spendy at first, but it is totally worth it. Free refills at your resort for the duration of your stay. After just a couple days you've already saved some money!
  • If you are so inclined and like a fruity beverage, as I do on occasion whilst in the Sunshine State, make your own mixed drinks! We picked up some coconut rum, then used our refill cups to mix in some orange stuff, some pink stuff and some lemonade, topped off with the rum. Seriously - this is really good! And much cheaper than getting loaded at the pool bar!
  • Hotel food courts can be overwhelming. I like to get there before or after the rush. I have no need to start my day with a headache from all that stress! If you are getting breakfast ... it is really good! My favorite is at Port Orleans French Quarter. I am a fan of the scrambled eggs, biscuits and potatoes. With a Coke.
  • Coke. Disney isn't a Pepsi company. Boo. :(  I'm a Diet Pepsi girl. But holy cow do I go overboard on the Coke with my free refill cup!  This time I will try to work in more lemonade and avoid the Coke. And I will try to drink water! HYDRATE!!
  • If you had the Disney pizzas in years past and got sick from them .... don't worry. They are so much better now! I mean I actually crave them sometimes. In the 2005-2007 range I stayed clear. Everybody that ate them got a tummy ache. Now the crust is soooo yummy! Get it. Report back to me how much you loved it! (I am referencing the personal sized pizzas which they also sell in a smaller child friendly version.)
  • Those of you with children will be happy to know, I guess?, that they have child sized meals where you can get a drink, main dish and some sides (apples, grapes, cookies, etc) all in one. I actually got a kid's meal once at the hotel and felt satisfied at the end!
  • Pecos Bill Cafe. You WILL see it. If you are in Frontierland and see Splash Mountain, then just look over and you'll see Pecos Bill's! Then imagine the photo below. If you were there as a guest in the Fall of 1997 I may have served you! Naturally I am partial to this restaurant. They do have a pretty fancy topping bar where you can get sauteed mushrooms and onions for your burgers, along with tons of other things I don't eat. Sadly they don't have the cute saloon girl dresses anymore. I loved that dress.
  •  ~~RR November 1997(19th birthday)
  • Mrs. Pott's over in Fantasyland has really yummy strawberry shortcake sundaes.
  • Popcorn. Get it! Love it! Bask in it. Get the bucket. You know you want to. You can use it to store all sorts of things when you get home. And fill it with other souvenirs when packing to save space. You won't regret it!
  • Chips. Oh. My. Gosh. If you don't get chips in the United Kingdom then you are missing out! Of all things Epcot, this is my favorite thing to eat. (So we all know I'm partial to French fries - and these are at the top of my list!)
  • Another food option that price wise can be quite reasonable are walk up carts. I will highly recommend hot dogs and/or turkey legs in Frontierland. Is this me being 100% biased? YES!
  • ~~RR December 1997
  • Thirsty yet? Let's talk BOOZE!
  • Epcot. A drinker's paradise! Mexico - not only can you get the yummy blended margaritas at the walk-up stand outside, but there is the not-to-be-missed tequila bar inside. I tried just one of the drinks on my birthday last year and that was plenty. It was so yummy, and not at all weak!
  •  ~~November 2010 (32nd birthday)
  • Also in Epcot - France. I can't remember the name. It is orange. Slushy. Has Grand Marnier in it. So darn tasty! If you like creamsicles, this is the drink for you!
  • And one more Epcot stop is in Morocco. Habibi Daiquiri and the Sultan's Colada are my favorite. PLUS, the boys there seem to like the American girls. Last year as I was getting my colada and wearing my medal, to congratulate me on a job well done, he poured an extra shot o' rum on my drink. Holy cow - it was heaven! They are a twist on the traditional pina colada and strawberry daiquiri, and probably my two new favorite Epcot drinks!
  • If you are in Animal Kingdom they also have a full bar. From experience working in that park I can tell you many adults have enjoyed many drinks there - and they are pretty strong!
  • At the Yak & Yeti restaurant in Asia (shout out!That's MY land!) I suggest getting the Big Bamboo!
  •  Big Bamboo
  • Other restaurants that I enjoy: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater, Wolfgang Puck Express, ESPN Club for sure!, Cape May for yummy breakfast and Narcoosee's. Again - I only eat like a kid, so I can't give adult suggestions really.
  • Finally, one more thing I urge you to get. I've brought these home as presents. They look so rich and the price might seem steep. It is worth it. The cookies from Minnie's Bake Shop. They are sold individually wrapped in practically every store on property - and food court. I've only tried the peanut butter and loved it. My friend tested that and chocolate chip and preferred the peanut butter.
  • Okay - here's one more to laugh at.... from deep in the Magic Kingdom locker room!
  •  ~~RR circa November 1997

That's it for tonight! Tomorrow I'll come up with a new subject of recommendations and must-dos! And probably some more videos and photos that could potentially be pretty embarrassing!?!

17 comments:

  1. How did I just now know that you are a vegetarian? I think I could be one if it weren't for the fact that I must have a big fat cheeseburger on occasion. And I have to cook for husband....and he's all "where's the meat" all the time. Pshhh. Pain in the patooty.

    Thanks for the food tips! I want to go to Disney! I think they give a really good military discount :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about the pizzas!! I love them. And the kid's meal - I accidentally ordered one somewhere and thought later I really should get the kids meal more often. And the Minnie's bake shop cookies! Basically one big WORD to your post. And I really need to try the orange, slushy, creamsicle type drink in France. Next time I'm so there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I love the Disney kids meals, they're perfect portions for me!

    2. Um. Helllooooo. Dole whip?!?!?

    3. I love the plum wine in japan.

    4. I also love the everything in the bakery in France :D.

    5. I hated that candy castle mess. Bleh.

    6. I am so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine how excited I was when I finally got to see the Castle for the first time ... and it looked like Pepto Bismol. Utter disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! I've never been to Disney, but now I REALLY want to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, how much money do I need to budget?

    And for the record, I used to work at an amusement park too... and I know what you can't see the ball and castle from the road.... because Walt Disney believed in helping people escape the "reality of the day-to-day world"... so didn't want that world visible from the park. Impressed, aren't you????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaritas are around $9 in Mexico, fyi, Lesley.

    I'm very impressed with your knowledge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to DisneyWorld, or Florida for that matter, but if I ever go, I will keep these things in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Rose, basically I can give you great advice on French fries and alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm... why can't I see the video now??? I could see it last night just fine. And let me tell you, nobody does a sick Katy Perry like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! Perfect post, I was totally freaking out about food and what I'd eat (i am PICKY :L)
    I have to have chesseless pizza the night b4 the race (which will be easy I am sure)
    What about vegetarian food? How are those options??? At disneyLAND they are good but at CA Disney they SUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think there are actually lots of vegetarian options - probably most of them at Epcot since you have all of those countries to pick from. But since I just live off of cheese pizza and fries I'm not really sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is in the Big Bamboo? Looks tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a picture of the Big Bamboo part of the menu!

    Malibu coconut rum, Bacardi light rum, DeKuyper banana liqueur and tropical fruit juices.

    SO TASTY!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Oprah and especially her favorite things show! Great rendition here, and one I wish I had seen before we took our kids last summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Drinks is Mexico? I dream about them! Especially the funky margaritas like the avocado one. YUM! Haven't tried any of the fruity drinks in Morocco. Will need to add that to the list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº