Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Shopping, Expos, Shopping, Food, Shopping


  • I went into our new local Costco today for the first time. Eh - unimpressed. I was impressed by the ginormous size of the shopping carts, however. Those puppies are HUGE!
  • I'm starting to look ahead to 2011 and my races that I'm lining up. I've already registered for 2 half marathons and a quarter marathon. The big thing on my mind? Disneyland! Anyone else planning to run the Disneyland Half-Marathon? As it looks right now, my travel buddy won't be able to join me, so I'm brainstorming on who to have as my roommate and cheerleader. I'm pretty darn excited, too! I haven't been to Disneyland since December 2000 when I sent myself there as a college graduation present to myself. Sure I've been to Disney World countless times, but it will feel good to go back to where it all started. Now I just have to start saving money for the entry fee, hotel and tickets. I really need to work on my connections and see what kind of perks I can get to minimize the cost!
  • Anyone here into barefoot running? Am I correct in thinking you just wear those really thin shoes versus actually running barefoot? I don't see myself trying this, but Sushi Guy is always talking about it. I tried on his new shoes and it was strange how different they felt compared to my running shoes.
  • I ran twice yesterday. VERY short runs, but still I tried. I realized that suddenly - seriously overnight! - Oregon became cold. I went to bed Monday night. I woke up Tuesday morning to run and there was snow. It was 27º during my first race last year, but since then I haven't had to brave the elements. I decided to spend the next week and a half getting acclimated to running in really cold weather. After that? Half marathon training officially starts! YAY! I can hardly believe that in less than 3 months from right now I will already be in Florida anxiously awaiting the Fit For A Princess Expo!
  • Black Friday.... I think I'm sleeping in for the first time in years. Woohoo!! Here's a question for all you pro-runners out there .... are there any fabulous, must have, on-line deals for running type things? Like Running Skirts.com or Zensah? Anything like that? There isn't one place in my town where I could get anything running related, other than socks or sports bras. Oh yeah- I Black Friday shop for ME!!
  • Tonight I'm cooking! Little ol' me! Pumpkin pies and starting on the stuffing. Tomorrow I'll be cooking fifteen pounds of mashed potatoes and peas. The peas are for ME, too! Nobody else cares about them. They are my candy!
I hope you all have a great extending Thanksgiving Day weekend! Don't worry about calories - just have fun indulging on this awesome holiday! And none of you better be trampling over other shoppers. Here's my shopping tip - since I'm kind of a pro - bring one of those awesome recycled type tote bags. I have a ton if you need to borrow one. And then pack light. No purse - just keys, ID and money. Throw the bag over your shoulder and as you see things you need, chuck them in the bag. This gives you TWO free hands for pushing other women out of the way when you are fighting over socks. Is it just my town that has people going ballistic over regular ol' men's socks? I've yet to see it - but I've heard the horror stories!


7 comments:

  1. It is cold here! :) I kind of like it for a change. At least it isn't raining right now. Just cold! We just had peas. I love peas. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barefoot runners - there are A LOT of them in Dallas... and many of them go full barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to do the Disneyland half -- I haven't been to Disneyland since hmmmm 1999? -- but I will almost certainly be broke long before the end of the summer and unable to afford to go :( But if I win the lottery or something, I'll do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh...lots to talk about today! :) Disneyland half? I'm 90% going to register for it and head over there solo. I want that Coast to Coast medal!! :) I've never been to Disneyland so I was planning on doing a 4 day long weekend or something to try to see as much as possible.

    Barefoot running? Definitely NOT for everyone! I'd like to try it but there's just as many reports saying it's bad for you as there ones saying it's amazing for you. :( I was thinking of trying them for a mud run or something where I'll be trudging through mud and muck but as for normal races? The Vibrams are just a little too expensive though for me to just try and not use again. :( I think I like my normal sneaks!

    And yum pumpkin pies!! Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you are dissing Costso! I mean where else can you get lobster, tires, and a 60# bag of dog food - dang!

    I am scared to try the barefoot running thing due to the pins, but I have moved to Newtons which are a very low grade heel and closely simulate the actual barefoot bit.

    You know I will be at the Disney Half! I hope we get a chance to meet there.

    Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Running!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about the barefoot running thing - I need more cushion between me and the ground. I am sticking with sneakers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my little blog, your comments rock my compression socks!! ºoº